Headphone socket on laptop?

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. It was either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket without damaging it. This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the whole plug would then become lodged in the socket! Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Reply to
Kenny

Another obvious pitfall is that the glue is unlikely to be stronger than the original assembly, which has already broken...

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Didn't realise it was so common a problem, have a few YT videos to look at later.

Kenny

Another obvious pitfall is that the glue is unlikely to be stronger than the original assembly, which has already broken...

Mike.

Reply to
Kenny

Superglue in tight spots , goes where it wants to go, not where you want it to go. Find the utube video of dismantling it , enough to get a needle or something in there to prize it out, from inside the laptop

Reply to
N_Cook

I suggest :

Laptop off , put another socket inside the plug (a "normal" one).

Since the plug is endless, the tip of the other will fall somewhere in the laptop.

Then open and pick it up.

Reply to
Look165

jack

put

the

ut

I dunno, I have seen quite a few with closed backs. But that is a good idea if it is not. And with your method, if it works, it is VERY important to f ind the end and not have it rolling around in there. Hopefuly the construct ion of the thing will allow that.

If it is closed back, if that can be accessed it might be possible to melt a hole in it and then use a paperclip to push the piece out. In fact I thin k the paperclip would be used to make the hole as well.

I remember people breaking off an RCA plug in their TV and with the open ba ck jacks would just push another plug in it, and it would work. However, on ce the thing gets moved it can travel and short something out if it didn't right away. Saw a $300 signal board turned into scrap over that.

Reply to
jurb6006

The m/b would have to be completely removed to even see what type of socket it is. Using a pin I was able to slightly move the tip inside the socket and I have sound again from laptop speakers, can't get a grip on it with tweezers to pull it out though. At least I now have sound but can't use headphones or mic. Don't think the idea of pushing another plug in would be advisable since I can't see the upper side of socket and even if it did work the broken bit would be trapped between m/b and casing.

Kenny

Kenny

I dunno, I have seen quite a few with closed backs. But that is a good idea if it is not. And with your method, if it works, it is VERY important to find the end and not have it rolling around in there. Hopefuly the construction of the thing will allow that.

If it is closed back, if that can be accessed it might be possible to melt a hole in it and then use a paperclip to push the piece out. In fact I think the paperclip would be used to make the hole as well.

I remember people breaking off an RCA plug in their TV and with the open back jacks would just push another plug in it, and it would work. However, once the thing gets moved it can travel and short something out if it didn't right away. Saw a $300 signal board turned into scrap over that.

Reply to
Kenny

avagadro7

Tried twice with the glue idea, once using original plug and again using cotton bud with cotton removed, neither worked. Opened laptop, socket is closed type so I used a rotary multi-tool with mill attachment to remove part of back and top then was able to push it out towards the front.

Kenny