Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

it with *anything* else that will fit. If you don't have something, I just might.

d have it look fine, work properly, and last indefinitely (elephant-snot gl ue notwithstanding).

ty includes labor should it be necessary - 10 year.

I can't imagine how much trouble it would be to get them to cough up labor costs to replace it. Do they go on your word? Do you have to ship the re lay to HK?

.[rimshot] I refuse to believe that someone (anyone) could hear an audible difference between audio switched through an $80 matched reed relay and a $5 reed relay from Digi.

Just ship the board to Computer Components. HK is pretty much out of the le gacy repair business. CC was their OEM supplier many years ago, and remain functioning to this day. I have to admit that is much of the appeal - how m any such businesses remain viable, and how much is their viability, and the jobs they support, worth?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Especially considering the fact that in this particular circuit, the audio doesn't go through the reeds during operation! The reed contacts _short_ the audio to ground when the power is off, is turning on, or is turning off. The relay is "normally closed", and opens (un-shorting the output) during operation once the power supply stabilizes. When you're listening to music, the reed relay contacts are out-of-circuit, open, not carrying current, inert, silent, and out-of-mind :-)

The only impact I can see from having non-matched reeds, would be a slight difference in the exact timing of the un-muting (at power-on) and re-muting (at power-off). Somehow I can't see a millisecond or two of variation at those times, as being an issue.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Hmmm... In the Computer Components Catalog, this relay is between several mercury devices, but not marked as such. Might explain the price.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

audio doesn't go through the reeds during operation! "

Some companies prey on audiophoolery. Ten buck peer foot wires, CD demagnetizers and all that.

When are the going to come out with a DVD rewinder ? I mean, for the guy who has everything...

Reply to
jurb6006

done years ago. Google. Why it was done I don't know, I hope as a joke.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

gnetizers and all that.

y who has everything...

Yeah, they were jokes.

More disconcerting are the fools that "saw" improvement in television image s by use of an external power conditioner. While the conditioner made have had some utility as a surge protector, they had no effect on the picture, which is why most fools bought them.

Reply to
John-Del

The relay arrived yesterday. About 1" x 1.25" x 3/8" and weighs as much as two quarters and a dime (coins). Six pins. And, it has the original Harman-Kardon part number on it as well as the CCI part number.

Reply to
peterwieck33

With the new relay in place, the unit is now operating properly and reliabl y. What I took out, once the elephant snot was removed, was a 12V sub-minia ture US-made relay on a 24V system. That it lasted 10 years is remarkable. I Looked it up. No longer made and the company no longer listed.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peter wieck

Follow up from 2.5 years ago. Over the last few days, I did my annual-re-ma king-of-all-connections exercise on the HK system (Citation 17/18/19, AR M5 speakers, Revox turntable, Revox cassette player, Sony CD Changer, ). Four things arose: a) The phono-input (17) was fuzzy. Fix was re-solder the right-channel grou nd on the input jack - HK components of that era are notorious for cold-sol ders. Luckily it was visible. b) Minimal hum, both channels, only when the 17 was ON. Cleaned up two inte rnal grounds, went away. c) The *other* channel became intermittent - but full output from the 17, so, within the 19. Much longer fix - with the wooden stick method, literall y poking around. Found the 4-section Molex connector (only two sections con nected) was intermittent at the ground. NOT the connector, but the square p in through the driver board was cold-soldered and/or had cracked at the boa rd. Interesting inasmuch as it tested for continuity, but was intermittent in operation Re-soldered - good now. I also re-soldered all the pins on the other Molex connectors - figuring they were all done at the same time, lik ely by the same individual with the same equipment. d) The AR woofers both needed new surrounds. Which by pure blind luck, I ha d sitting around with the proper glue. Took about 4 hours each - mostly as that is how long it takes the glue to set. Better now!

While I was there, I adjusted the muting threshold and stereo thresholds fo r the 18. The target stations have reduced power slightly, making the adjus tment more of a convenience than a necessity.

Anyway, no more troubles. Next: the main system.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.