Goodwill pre-emptive strike

I was browsing through a Goodwill thrift store in Interstate 20 a bit east of Abilene, TX last week and one of the first things I saw for sale there was a portable TV set. It looked like recent manufacture, but on top of the set, right in plain sight where no one could help seeing it, was a big sticker telling any potential owners that analog TV broadcasting will cease in February 2009 and that the set would no longer be able to receive TV signals after that. My guess is that Goodwill wants to head off a stampede of angry customers when the Big Switch occurs. Seems like all thrift shops should do this or something similar.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

Don't all stores everywhere have to do this for analog-only sets?

Reply to
James Sweet

Why should they? Only a d*****ad watches anything off the antenna.

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

Everywhere? The stores here on Saturn are not required to do this. Neither are the stores on Ni'ihau, AFAIK. I'm sure it's thus elsewhere.

Reply to
Spam Trap

"Matt J. McCullar" hath wroth:

FCC 15.117(k) requires posting such a sign if they are selling analog receivers.

(k) The following requirements apply to all responsible parties, as defined in Sec. 2.909 of this chapter, and any person that displays or offers for sale or rent television receiving equipment that is not capable of receiving, decoding and tuning digital signals.

(1) Such parties and persons shall place conspicuously and in close proximity to such television broadcast receivers a sign containing, in clear and conspicuous print, the Consumer Alert disclosure text required by paragraph (k)(3) of this section. (etc...)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

When the date comes for the analog TV to stop, the broadcasters are not going to shut down the analog TV on that date. Most of the local stations will not be ready to be in digital or HD. The main networks will have most of the new programming in digital and HD. They will have a parallel analog feed.

In any-case, I am sure that there will be converter boxes out in the market place to convert the digital TV signals to analog to be viewed on older TV sets. There are many low to medium income families that will not be able to afford to go out and buy new TV sets.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

I had the distinct impression they were forced to do so by Government fiat.

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
        Three feet