Gibson Les Paul classic of 2013

Firstly "classic" moniker with battery and J202 FET inside? Unless I've misread the mini-pcb tracery , the boost switch is DPDT using 2 seriesed switch actions for increased unreliability? I would have paralleled for increased reliability of a simple switch action if using a DPDT perhaps because it is more mechanically robust than SPST or SPDT, or am I missing something?

Reply to
N_Cook

Firstly "classic" moniker with battery and J202 FET inside? Unless I've misread the mini-pcb tracery , the boost switch is DPDT using 2 seriesed switch actions for increased unreliability? I would have paralleled for increased reliability of a simple switch action if using a DPDT perhaps because it is more mechanically robust than SPST or SPDT, or am I missing something?

That's not the Series/Parallel switch you are looking at?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Not my intended meaning, only 4 terminals are used of the 6 , but not in a DPST sense as 2 of those 4 terminals are bridged across by a trace, so the action is just a simple SPST, via 2 switch contacts. So one pole on or off to simply switch in/out a filter cap or something

Reply to
N_Cook

The pcb is multilayer , and all 6 pins of the switch are used. Looks as though problem was a low battery that recovered and drooped between uses, as such a light loading, 22K in line with battery to transistor etc. But as far as I can see, after deeper exploration, there are 2 seriesed switch actions of 2 poled for one simple on/off one pole function.

Reply to
N_Cook

I cannot find a user manual even referred to on this, or elsewhere

2013 on the pcb overlay, model 2014? Those "2014" specs refer to this small toggle switch as 15dB boost, which implies the other position is a normal sort of output. As far as I can see with this guitar , that switch is amp on in both positions, properly on one way and full-mute audio quiet-switching in the other position, whether the 2 pot switches are on or off. Full on/off of the J202 is via sleeve/ring ground inter-connection of the guitar lead jack. I'll have to get from the owner what that switch does or did. I hope musos find the battery cover clip as impossible as I did. Insert fingernail under ledge but move in the opposite direction to the ideogram arrow on the moulding of the plastic. I wonder how long before problems with the flimsey 1.25mm spacing pickup lead connectors to the pcb.
Reply to
N_Cook

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone anything else?

Reply to
N_Cook

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone anything else?

All active guitars have this function. Likewise, all battery powered guitar effects pedals also have this function via the switched input jack socket.

Most owners of such products who don't know about these functions soon find out when the battery goes dead and they ask their mates why.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Are we in the 21 century? The owner only tended to use one setting of all the 3 switches, just changing the rotary controls, plus lead connected all the time to the amp, so internal battery on all the time. Switching the small toggle switch on and off assuming that turned the internal amp on and off. This was from new and unless it fell off somewhere it looks as though Gibson does not even put a little soft cover over the spindle of that switch, so bare metal, unlike the normal 3 way switch which does have a soft cover. Avoids static clicks , if nothing else, getting through to the output.

Reply to
N_Cook

Are we in the 21 century? The owner only tended to use one setting of all the 3 switches, just changing the rotary controls, plus lead connected all the time to the amp, so internal battery on all the time. Switching the small toggle switch on and off assuming that turned the internal amp on and off. This was from new and unless it fell off somewhere it looks as though Gibson does not even put a little soft cover over the spindle of that switch, so bare metal, unlike the normal 3 way switch which does have a soft cover. Avoids static clicks , if nothing else, getting through to the output.

I should imagine that if that switch turned the power on and off, there would be an almighty BANG which would raise far more eyebrows than a piffling static click. :)

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

** Err - ever see this?

** So what?

There are many who have never seen one before.

** They all come with manuals.

** Then there are the others who blame bad batteries or annoy technicians with nonsense stories about the pedal being faulty.

More than once I have had to ask if the owner left leads plugged in overnight.

I really like the ones who insist their battery operated pedal hums.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Gibson have always supplied owners manuals:

More than 200 of 'em there.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This is very light load of 9V , one FET, and 22K in line with "B+". With old battery 4V over the circuit and it worked, tried on DVM-bat_test and 0.02V registered, and about 6V on DVM-V. I would have thought a SM 10uF cap downstream of that 22K would do the job of switch-on bang, perhaps switch-off fart would be frowned-on, but there is already a muting subcircuit there, so perhaps 3PDT switch instead. Had another go at trying to find a user manual for a classic 2014, specs yes, but no user manual to explain about that toggle switch, mute/boost or normal/boost variants

Reply to
N_Cook

Don't they have music stores in your country? They show you how to operate that type of equipment, over here.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell