Genie and wizard ESR Meters?

Hello, I'm about to buy a genie or wizard ESR meter and I was wondering if they can be used to test SMD capacitors?

Any other tips for testing SMD capacitors of unknown value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

I have a Genie ESR meter which I have used daily, in anger, for several years. I prefer it to the Wizard, which a couple of colleagues use, for its quick response, and unambiguous digital readout. It also auto zeros, and auto scales. Oh yeah, and it's also a third the price ... It can be used to test surface mount caps as well as ordinary ' leaded ' types, but only electrolytics, of course. ESR is not a factor with other types of capacitor. About the only thing which I would say is that surface mount electrolytics tend not to give the same sort of readings as leaded types of the same value. A surface mount cap may give an ESR reading of twice that of a similar value and rated leaded type.

Also, an ESR meter will not tell you anything about the value of an unknown - you need a capacitance meter for that. I'm surprised that you are coming across electrolytics - either SM or leaded, which are ' unknown ' as even the smallest SM types are still plenty big enough to have their value and rating printed on.

Geoff

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for a quick response.

To tell you the truth, I dont know much about SMD technology. I dont think the SMDs im having issues with are electrolytic, so I guess they're a no go for the ESR tester.

I still need it for 'big' electrolytics, but I'll need to find a better way to test those SMD's. Best I can manage now is to test them (in circuit) for shorts with a DMM. Theres just too many to test out of circuit and their values are unknown. Is there any other testing method I could use?

Thanks again.

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

Hmm. Not a lot really. I have to say that in general, SM caps of the usual ' ceramic brick ' type are pretty reliable. I have had them short, and I have had them leaky, but it's rare. Their value is pretty stable in general. Probably, the commonest problem with them, is open circuit, due either to body cracking, or end cap detachment, or solder joint cracking. This appears to be caused, in most cases, by bad board handling / excess flexing.

If you get a Genie, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Geoff

Reply to
Arfa Daily