Generic name for indexed "drive" system?

Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info rather than motive force plus timing. So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys, same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Stepper System? They can be with stepper motors, or cams and cogs, or microswitches and cogs.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

This is on a mechanical system that even predates Baudot tapes , to something like 1860 to 1900. More Jacquard loom than inkjet printer.

Reply to
N_Cook

These sort of things

but no generic term found there

Reply to
N_Cook

At first, I thought you were looking for "Geneva mechanism". But, if you are looking for the belt/chain drive, then the term would be something like "timing belt" or "sprocket drive/belt".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

At one point in my past I had to show technical training 16mm films and always wondered how they got that stop/start gate motion. Luckily ,muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2 volume pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed about 1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being converted to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like that, never seen them since.

Reply to
N_Cook

I doubt these are they, but they sound interesting all the same ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe the Hiscox books?

Mechanical Movements: Powers, Devices, and Appliances Mechanical Appliances, Mechanical Movements, and Novelties

Reply to
whit3rd

I inherited my Mother's "Blackie's Standard Dictionary" (slightly foxed). I cannot find a date in it, but it says it has "war words and words of recent introduction" (e.g. Anzac). I coveted it because it also has several pages of "mechanical movements illustrated", including a "Geneva stop" and a number of clock escapements.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Thanks for finding that. I've been looking for them for years, none of the local libraries could find them.

Reply to
Tim R

The books I came across were more a mathematical rather than engineering or applications treatment, and 2 volumes only, 1930 publication was not impossible but I was left with an impression of being earlier.

Reply to
N_Cook

Only known parameters so far is what seems to be called generically "perforated tape" steel or bronze, 1.5 inches wide , thin enough strip to comfortably curve around 12 inch diameter pulleys . Unknown is whether round ball or square studs on the pulley matching round or square line of central holes. I'm assuming there is an optimum "sprocket" design spacing given these other parameters, radius of curvature, torque/force transfer per ball , the hole spacing is the parameter we're after, but not found.

Reply to
N_Cook

In normal use only a few pounds of tension in the perforated tape, but if the whole structure jammed , it and one sprocket pulley would have to hold back 70 pounds of tension

Reply to
N_Cook