GE oven failure

I have an old GE range. Model # J BP26 0w2A. It came with the house when I bought it 16 years ago. Last year I replaced the bottom heating element. This saturday I replaced the broiler element. After that the oven doesn't heat at all. I suspect it is the temperature control. The question I have is that there are two tubes. A thick one that is along the left side of the oven and a thin metal tube along the back, right against where the broiler element enters the back wall. Both enter the oven from the same baffle. I had to move the thin one to replace the broiler element. Nothing broke as far as I could see. Which one is the capillary tube and what is the other one for.

Ron

--
RonD
Reply to

Did you check for a fuse inside the range? A burnt out element can blow a fuse if the element shorts to the cladding.

I doubt you did any damage to the temperature sensors and if one did break, it would probably register too cold so the oven would always be on.

Just some thoughts.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

RonD wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

heating

the

If it's a self cleaning oven the thin one is a NAK switch the heavy one that stick's out of the back of the oven is the temperature sensor.

If standard oven the thin one goes to the thermostat, I had some trouble with the selector switch.

Former appliance repairman.

R!

Reply to
R!

Sam

Thanks for your reply. The bottom element was working before I replaced the top broiler element. All the top burners and all the indicator ligts are working, including the "oven on" indicator. However the fuse check is a good idea. However I have a more immediate plumbing problem that just cropped up. So I am heading to the plumbing section, as I can't fix this one either.

Ron

--
RonD
Reply to

The Money Pit (1986). Starring: Tom Hanks, Shelley Long Director: Richard Benjamin

Reply to
Homer J Simpson