GE 8mm camcorder

Camcorder works fine, but the eyecup, or ocular, on the viewfinder fell off and got lost. My GE model CG818A is apparently the clone of the RCA CG818, but nobody makes it any more, not even Thomson Consumer Electronics in Indianapolis, which manufactured the viewfinder.

How can I find a replacement? Try a camera repair shop? The piece is simply a small lens embedded in a rubber shield to keep out the ambient light.

Is there a junkyard where old camcorders go to be cannibalized? If I found even a comparable part, I could epoxy or tape it to the viewfinder barrel and have a serviceable camera. That would do until next summer, when the price of DVD camcorders is halved.

ron

Reply to
ronalaron

The eyepiece lens has to be the correct dioptre to work properly for its distance to the screen. If have a way to know the dioptre of the eyepiece lens, you could go to any optician shop or eyeglass manufacture that does their own lens grinding, and have one made. This will not be cheap to have done. I have done this myself for photo and camera equipment.

--

JANA _____

How can I find a replacement? Try a camera repair shop? The piece is simply a small lens embedded in a rubber shield to keep out the ambient light.

Is there a junkyard where old camcorders go to be cannibalized? If I found even a comparable part, I could epoxy or tape it to the viewfinder barrel and have a serviceable camera. That would do until next summer, when the price of DVD camcorders is halved.

ron

Reply to
JANA

Keep looking on eBay for the model number. Several have been sold in the recent past. Use the "new ones" for parts...or use your for parts.

Why do you think "...next summer, when the proce of DVD camcorders is halved?" Why would you consider a DVD camcorder anyway?

Reply to
webpa