Fuzzy TV picture

Hi,

My parent's crappy JVC "InteriArt" TV has developed an annoying problem where the picture becomes horribly fuzzy. The fuzziness depends on the colours on the screen - if there is a blue background it is incredibly fuzzy, but with colours approaching white it's almost completely clear.

Could anybody suggest what is wrong with it, and if it could be repaired easily?

Thanks.

Reply to
wayne.marsh

Sorry, I didn't think this post through enough.

By "fuzzy" I mean "blurry". And I should mention that it's a CRT television set.

Reply to
wayne.marsh

Without properly verifying the set on the bench, it is difficult to make an accurate assumption. Usually, when bright or high contrast images start to be of soft focus, this is usually an indication of the picture tube going soft. As the tube ages and wears out, the emission will decrease. One of the effects is less sharpness in the image. Eventually, it will start going dim, and soon fail completely.

--

JANA _____

My parent's crappy JVC "InteriArt" TV has developed an annoying problem where the picture becomes horribly fuzzy. The fuzziness depends on the colours on the screen - if there is a blue background it is incredibly fuzzy, but with colours approaching white it's almost completely clear.

Could anybody suggest what is wrong with it, and if it could be repaired easily?

Thanks.

Reply to
JANA

Fuzzy indicates poor focus. Poor focus can be due to gas in the tube or to the wrong voltages on elements of the picture tube.

Intermittently indicates that the voltage for some of the CRT voltages is changing.

These voltages are normally regulated to prevent changes.

When the voltages change with CRT beam current (for one or more of the beams), the problem could be with the CRT, with High voltage regulator, with components used to adjust the CRT beam currents or with the low voltage power supply. If it is the CRT, it is not cheap. Most other problems should be fixable at not too much cost.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap