Follow up to "timex wont beep after battery replacement" from Feb 2006

Hi,

I just fixed the same problem with a novel method. I have a 100 lap ironman triathlon. There was no problem with the spring, etc. As I fiddled with it, I noticed it would beep if the case was not pressed on all the way. This was very strange. There are two small silver contacts on the edge of the battery cover, they are slightly curved and contact the metal case, not the pezio. After puzzling over the problem, I did something non-intuituve (using the old TS method of "if you are baffled, change one thing and see what happens") -I cut a small peice of paper and placed it over the two clips, so that they would not make contact with the case. Bingo! Beeps great!. The paper is now a permanent part of the watch.

This is weird, but it worked.

$teve

------------------------------------------------ Stephen... the "Alarm Buzzer" in digital watches is a piezo disk. A VERY thin gold/brass looking disk with a circle of Piezo electric crystal that looks like a circle of white paint. This disk is mounted in the back of the watch. The case of the watch is one connector to the "Alarm Buzzer", the other connector is ususally a VERY VERY TINY little spring attatched to the innards (Electronics) of the Watch. When you put the back of the watch on, the little spring makes contact with the "white" disk and completes the connection.

It's VERY easy to lose that spring!!! CAREFULLY take the back of the watch off and look for it. If it's still sticking up out of the electronics then the problem is related to something else. If not you'll have a problem on your hands. Not only will you have to find or make a new spring, you'll have to figure out where it connects on the circuit board.

One more thing...if everything else in the watch seems to work BUT the alarm then RESET is NOT the problem!

Hope this helps.

Cheers....Dean.

Reply to
stevecrye