Flourescent ballast

I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron (type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few seconds and then went dead. I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2 semiconductors with E13003 on both. What is this semiconductor? They measure short circuit across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A schematic diagram would help. ==Sammy==

Reply to
Sammy

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:03:01 +0000, Sammy Has Frothed:

MJE13003

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Last time I looked there were several schematics on the web - if you look in the right places.

M.P. is correct about the MJE13003.

Reply to
ian field

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:05:45 +0000, ian field Has Frothed:

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day :)

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

unless its digital of course ;-)

Reply to
Mike

As others have said, they are MJE13003s, a common bipolar power transistor. But since the lamp lit for a few seconds, any replacements are likely to blow as well. There is something else wrong with the ballast.

Why didn't you just take it back where you bought it?

--- sam

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

They may be fine, often chokes will show a short circuit measured in DC resistance but are not so at the normal operating frequency. The components are likely house marked so no information will be available, most use NPN power transistors though.

If it isn't as simple as cracked solder joints, just return it to the store, or if you've left signs of opening it up, chuck it in the bin and buy a new one.

Reply to
James Sweet

That depends on what is broken.

Reply to
JW

Years ago someone at a car boot sale came by a large quantity of Ikea CFLs which were presumably factory seconds as they "dropped like flies", I waited until the seller dropped the price from £2 to 50p - at the time the cheapest in the shops was over £10. A significant proportion of the boot sale CFLs blew due to faulty tubes, as I was in the habit of repairing them I reconstructed a few with small straight tubes secured to the holes where the original tubes entered the casing. with a ty-wrap and wired in.

By the time all the Ikea CFLs I bought had become BER the shop price had fallen to about £6.50p, at this price they were still worth repairing but more recently the Morrisons supermarket (UK) has been selling it's own brand CFLs for £1.99p and a couple of months ago launched a promotion selling Philips CFLs (regular price about £3.50p) at 99p in addition to that they ran a buy one get one free for a while - so the CFLs were going out the door for only 50p each! - I bought a couple of carrier bags full at that price, at that price there's no way I'm going to bother repairing any that fail and the cost of petrol to go and return it would be more than the value of the goods!

Reply to
ian field

Yeah. I've found good US ones for 99 cents on super sale - nice phosphor.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hah! My bedroom clock radio decided on Sunday morning that it was time to "fall back" to standard time. Apparently it didn't know we don't do that here in most of Arizona. There is no way to disable this auto-resetting behavior either. Had to set the clock to a different time zone to get the correct time.

Don't you hate it when your appliances think they're smarter than you are?

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:20:27 -0800, jerry_maple Has Frothed:

LOL yeh I suppose that is a problem where you live.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for the info and to all who replied. I find there is a fusible resistor(?) gone o/c aswell. Repair set aside for the moment. Why didn't I return it to the store for exchange? . I bought it at IKEA in Bristol, but live in Ireland. ==Sammy==

Reply to
Sammy

Have they opened the Belfast store yet?

+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain   +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
Homer J Simpson