Figure out this Resistor with Color Code

??? So he opened up the TV ??? And somehow during a new years eve party ??? probably without any tools ??? diagnosed the problem was this in this part

!!! sounds mighty fishy !!!

then again it could be a molded inductor.

in any case it's kinda unlikely a guy with no tools could pinpoint the problem to one component that looks perfectly fine from the outside.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Oh, it could be a molded inductor.

Is there a way I can test this? If I hook up to an Ohm meter, I should get what?

Zack

Reply to
Zachary Burns

ANd of course, likely the tv set itself supplies information on whether it's a resistor or inductor, since the board itself would likely have a marking to indicate the part number for the schematic.

But, as you and I have said, that information has been lost since "the guy" who "diagnosed" this problem isn't sticking with the "repair".

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:46:10 -0500, Zachary Burns Has Frothed:

Low ohmage. Can you remind me why this part is a suspect?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Somebody said it was bad and I can't replace with the part that was taken out because they literally cut it out (from what I can tell). So I needed to order a new one.

Zack

Reply to
Zachary Burns

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:17:36 -0500, Zachary Burns Has Frothed:

What does it read with an ohm meter?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Brand and model of the TV set? The location on the board? If it was "cut out" there would be a pair of cut leads sticking up to tell you where it was.

That body style of resistor is quite old, and hasn't been used for new sets for about 20 years. Most electronics these days are either metal film, or surface mount. and look completely different. It looks to be a 3.9 Meg 1/2 watt 10% carbon composition resistor. If it is a carbon composition it would be used in the safety circuit to bleed static charges to ground because damaged metal film resistors can arc over, and electrocute someone. The set would operate without this part, but not meet safety standards.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It may not have even come from your set.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Don't know, but I'll ask. I doubt she'll bring in her 52" projection so I can find out.

Zack

Reply to
Zachary Burns