Fender Passport 150

Hi,

some of you may be familiar with this all Chinese design badged "Fender".

Odd looking but quite functional with a pair of 80W Hitachi mosfet amplifiers and inside a regulated SMPS in the bottom of main unit.

One arrive last week *dripping water* out the main unit and both speakers - seems it had been caught in a flood about 10 days previously and was immersed up to the line of the XLR sockets.

( Why do people think it OK to let the water remain inside and do its worst for so long ?? )

Got the speakers apart first, removed the four drivers, towelled off the surface water and let the lot sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It had become rather smelly and the only fix I know is sunlight.

Next, the main unit ( also smelly) had to be completely disassembled, a huge number of screws involved, to gain access the SMPS which has its own enclosure right at the bottom - it was still soaking wet.

Pulled out the PCB and fan and gave that a good wash in the sink followed by a half hour in the oven at about 80C. The PCB need scrubbing to remove the white residue of dissolving solder - as did the amp PCB.

Used up plenty of PCB spray cleaner and then applied WD40 with a soft brush to every metal surface and connector. Then left it all out in the sun too.

Tested the SMPS first with a dummy load and blow me down it worked fine. Attached the rest of the electronics and they worked OK too. Re-assembled and tested the speakers and found they had also survived.

Naturally, I let the main unit run for many hours to make sure there were no issues with hidden moisture.

On informing the customer of my success he asked:

" was there much to do" ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What was your bill? What is the cost of a new one? Was the customer ensured? What warranty do you offer on the repair?

Will it ruin the show if this speaker dies during a performance?

In short, while the repair was heroic, I would have turned down the customer, or at least informed of the risk of future failure.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

Seawater or tap/rain water? Powered up or on standby when flooded?

Reply to
N_Cook

Leif Neland

** Been in the repair game long enough not to make that sort of mistake.

My bill is well below the price one pays on eBay for similar examples.

** Not my problem.

** Same as ever - that my workmanship was without fault.

No new parts were used.

** That is always a risk, any time you rely on a piece of gear.

** A lot of tech may have done that - cos they have simply not my experience with recovering water soaked audio gear.

I have seen and restored far worse.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Clean water by the look of it - Sydney had a big storm a couple of weeks back.
** In storage, far as I know.

The owner was smart enough NOT to try powering it up wet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison