Fender deLuxe Hot Rod ,2002

is,

at

han

he

amp

I concur with this statement - and I have proof, namely that one, single time when I tried plugging a guitar into a stereo with essentially flat

20-20K response. Bleah. It sounded...sterile.
Reply to
Mr. Land

It`s the one in the shop that jumps into your arms and says buy me, buy me[1]. just like guitars and puppies, it`s all very subjective.

Some people love Fenders, some love Mesa Boogies, some people spend thousands of pounds on bespoke amplifiers which are lovingly tailored to their exact requirements.

Ron(UK)

[1] that was metaphorically speaking of course.
Reply to
Ron(UK)

This is starting to look a little like the vinyl vs. cdrom debates of some years back ;) However, I agree with your description of the multiplicity of factors in any given 'sound' and suggest that for those combination of instruments/pickups/amps/speakers/cabinets that produce notable 'sounds', these would have been studied in anechoic chambers with skilled musicians and engineers participating. Not everything can be expected to evolve empirically and organically. In our area we have several noted vacuum tube audio equipment developers who have impressively instrumented facilities for studying the gear. One would hope that part of their job is to document the acoustics and electrical response of notable gear in order to reproduce it and adjust its characteristics to a musician's tastes. Understanding the variables and how they interact would permit subsequent designs to evolve with more predictability and over a shorter period at less cost.

Michael

Reply to
msg

I concur with this statement - and I have proof, namely that one, single time when I tried plugging a guitar into a stereo with essentially flat

20-20K response. Bleah. It sounded...sterile.

Probably, in no small part, because it was a solid state amp ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, me too. I would suggest that this is a very good site to go to, if you don't understand the importance of bias and headroom. Many 'muso' terms are used, and it is very obvious what they mean when seen in the context of what Bob is up to.

Definitely on "Arfa's recommended reading list" now ! Thanks for pointing me at it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What would it look like if you displayed the input and output as an X-Y display?

I'd think a bent line would show up pretty quick. (You might need a phase shift on the input signal between the amp and the scope).

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier