Re: Cause of BMW blower Motor RESISTOR Failure?

Hi Guys,

>This is a long thread from sci.electronics.repair, but I think it hit >the wrong audience. I thought you guys might have more incite into >the root cause of this common part failure. > > From the OP, > >"Does anyone have insight into what is the root cause (and repair) of >the FSU failure that plagues almost every 1997 to 2003 BMW? > >
> >Also, does anyone have an idea HOW TO TEST a "repaired" FSU? > >The "blower motor resistor", which also goes by FSR (Final Stage Resistor) >or by FSU (Final Stage Unit), is known to fry itself in almost every single >E46 (3-series), E39 (5-series), and E38 (7-series) BMW. >
> >The problem with replacing this ~$100 part is that the new replacement FSU >fries itself just as often as the old one did, so you end up repeatedly >replacing your fried FSU every few years or so. >
> >That's fine for most people (although the DIY is a PITA) - but I ask >this newsgroup whether anyone has any insight into WHAT is actually >breaking - and - why? >
> >Here is the best (admittedly sketchy) wiring diagram we have so far: >
"

Here in AZ, BMW's are known as the FORD from Europe... Fix Or Repair Daily.

From your drawing, it looks like blower motor is a classic brushed DC motor... unlike Mercedes (which I designed :) which is a 3-phase EC motor.

I'm guessing a poorly designed PWM control which fails due to dissipation. (Or even worse, simply a series regulator, hot... hot... hot.)

Has anyone poked around with an O-scope (on a properly working unit)?

Lots of links (must be a "popular" problem :-)...

...Jim Thompson

Yep. A brush straddling two commutator segments can cause a very large surge.

Just buy an Infiniti ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Generally if the module is a resistor, there is one position where the motor is fed directly. So when the resistor goes open, your only speed is full blast or off.

If you have more speed values than could be explained by taps in a resistor, then you have an electronic control of some flavor. Usually when the electronic control fails, you have no fan at all.

I've replaced these in VWs, Mercedes, and Infiniti. The reality is the expensive cars have just as shitty fan controls as the cheap cars.

Exar has/had a group that did nothing but reverse engineer the electronic modules for replacement parts suppliers. You can't believe the crappy designs used by the manufacturers. It was always a problem if the replacement parts some use good engineering, or just copy the moronic designs of the OEM.

I used to think they potted all these modules to protect the circuitry from the elements, but in reality they were just kind of embarrassed at the poor engineering in the design.

Most of the time the bipolar designers would spot circuitry that had potential to damage on start up. As you probably know, breakdown voltages in bipolar can be a function of pins being floated or shorted to other pins.

Resistors or electronic controls need heat sinks, so I don't think you can tell based on the outside of the package.

The replacement part for my Infiniti blower control was a Delphi make in Mexico! The original part, which looked a bit different (bigger heat sink) was made in the USA. The Infiniti part isn't potted. I saved it just to open it up and see if anything smoked. It looks clean. It is a PCB with 4 semiconductors, one power device, and what looks like a surge suppressor. The PCB has Picotech on it. It has a 0.004ohm current sense resistor on. I suppose I can salvage it for yucks. The board is conformal coated, which makes it hard to read chip numbers.

If I had to fault them on anything, I would say too much heat sink grease. It is oozed all around the power device. [3 pins, so MOS or BJT].

Reply to
miso

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hoehler
.

Blame it on Jim, his rates are high. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx
[snip]

All we know is that some component inside a sealed unit seems to have a high failure rate. It may (or may not) be correlated with motor wear or impending motor failure.

Some diagnostics need to be done (by the owner of a BMW and some simple test gear). PWM or not. Condition of motor seizing bearings, arcing commutator, etc.). And what inside the FSU(?) is failing. Open a bad one up, reverse engineer it and find out which component is puking.

If this is a common enough failure of a high cost part, I'd consider designing a better one and marketing it (or a kit) to BMW clubs.

"Vegetarian" - Indian word for "lousy hunter"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

My A/C blower motor controller design didn't use a dropping resistor... it's a 3-phase EC motor, speed controlled using a variable frequency control oscillator. Chip dissipation is zilch. PowerMOS dissipation is only 3W (each device), and they're heat-sinked to the motor housing (Aluminum).

5" stack of schematics ;-) Features all kinds of exotic acceleration and deceleration controls so that the super rich (end customer was Mercedes) can't hear the motor whine. Breadboard before integration (chip made by NatSemi, Scotland)... final test, Bosch chief engineer with his head stuck in the air tunnel listening for noise ;-)

BTW, It was a family rule, beginning around 1968... Chrysler products no longer allowed in the family. ...Jim Thompson

Sounds like a poorly protected implementation of PowerMOS used to switch in series resistors. ...Jim Thompson

That doesn't need to be the case. The cause can be something simple. In my car the resistor module has a fuseable link which corrodes and makes the module fail. Ebay to the rescue...

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Could be. Perhaps they need to add a snubber to protect against the dv/dt transients from the commutator. Particularly in a worn-out motor.

This could be something an enterprising person could put together and sell as an add-on to the BMW crowd.

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Perhaps someone here has a wiring diagram for such a vehicle? ...Jim Thompson

There was one posted earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the offending module is just shown as a black box. Not sufficient to understand the circuit topology.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever.
        -- Brian Wilson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yep :-( ...Jim Thompson

The original thread had six links from 6 people that had attempted to remove the potting. All ended in failure.

Reply to
amdx

One used a hammer & a cold chisel. Others used dremmel tools & dental picks.

enough left over to pay them.

   Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week. :(
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some of them nevertheless succeeded in removing enough of the potting to make a repair. It would be interesting to reverse engineer the whole thing. But someone seems to have done so already as there are second source units available. Meanwhile, time is running out. These cars from the nineties will not last much longer I suppose.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Hey! I drive cars from the '70s. They run just fine. And upset the enviro-weenies, since they are exempt from emission testing.

My '79 Porsche central warning computer is getting a bit flaky. If I can locate the correct connector, I was thinking about building a replacement. Using a microcontroller instead of discrete components.

Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.