Exploded NiCd Batteries

While attempting a home-charge of a set of NiCd batteries, they were left unattended and consequently exploded (relatively high current was flowing through them). The basement area in which the explosion took place is currently being ventilated overnight.

Does anyone have any recommendations for further safety precautions or clean-up procedures?

Thanks

Reply to
doc

You may find that info on a NiCd batery manufacturer's site.

You could also check Wikipedia for the chemistry used in the battery.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote in news:1169348263.349379.159780@

51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

The chemicals you're dealing with in a typical Ni-Cad battery are:

Nickel & Nickel Hydroxide Cadmium & Cadmium Hydroxide Sodium Hydroxide Potassium Hydroxide Cobalt Hydroxide

I would wear rubber gloves when cleaning this stuff up! Wipe down all surfaces and rinse with water. Dispose of all cleaning materials.

Reply to
Jim Land

The potassium hydroxide (35%) is the worst component in NiCd batteries. Rinse splattered areas with as much water as you can.

Reply to
<nospam

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net) scribed...

And, in times to come, it might be wise to follow the battery manufacturer's recommendations for charging procedures, especially the current level.

If you're paranoid, you can rig a sort of "charging chamber" with some hollow-center cinder blocks. That will at least confine the damage if it happens again.

I'm guessing no one was hurt.

Keep the peace(es).

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I especially like the "follow manufacturers instructions" part. Just need to overcome my "reading inhibitions". :-)ooo

FWIW, this happened because I was doing a fast charge. I'm usually very careful to stop the process as soon as there is any heat.

But this time I got called to dinner when I should have been watching the stew. Actually more like pop-corn!

On a more serious note, I am reminded about how familiarity breeds contempt and can often lead to compromising safety.

Anyway, cleaned up the mess. No real harm seems to have been done except I prolly blew up about $60.00 worth of nicad cells.

DOC Have robots. Will travel.

Dr. Ant> In article ,

Reply to
doc

I use a timer as a fail safe. Relatively cheap.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

We're all SO glad you don't work in a mutions factory... :-)

Reply to
Jim Land