Eveready W-353 Battery Any info or sources available?

I am repairing a Simpson model 1699 precision milliohm meter and found one of these batteries in it. There was also a standard 9 Volt Battery which leads me to believe the unit is 20-30 years old. I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on this battery and was hoping someone could advise what its characteristics were and why someone would use this versus a standard D cell in this application. Its about 1 1/4 X2 1/4 X 4 Inches and 1.5 V and bears no date code This is a great meter and I'd like to find the right battery and not need adapt a D Cell Thanks in Advance Bob

Reply to
BoborAnn

Bob,

I've got a "Eveready Battery Engineering Data, Vol. III, 1984" book, and **THAT** shows the W353 as discontinued. There is not much about it other than its is an ANSI/NEDA 11, IEC R25-2 or a military BA802/U. the dimensions are listed as:

Height 104 to 105.6 mm width 64.3 to 65.9 mm depth 33.3-34.9 mm

It is shown as a carbon -zinc type, but no current (amperage) or life specs are given.

Best of luck in your quest, Tim Schwartz

BoborAnn wrote:

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

This battery type is long discontinued. If this is the old 22.5 Volt battery. You can make one.

Get 15 of the small Lithium type watch batteries. Find a piece of small cardboard or plastic tubing of the right diameter to hold the batteries in series. Make a pressure contact to fit anb be fasened at each end.

This should serve as your battery for the meter. I have done this for older photographic equipment and older radios.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Err, are not the open cell voltages of the lithium around 3 volts? That would make it 7 or 8 cells to get close to 22.5 volts. Maybe a CR2025/35 or such

You might see if this would work:

2725 EB-505 22.5 Volt Carbon Zinc Battery (505/M504/V74PX/W10)

I also recall garage door opener batteries that are 12 volts, two would give you 24 volts. There about the size of a AA only shorter.

We used to use a 22.5 volt cell in portable phantom power supplies for microphones. They looked like a 9 volt on steroids. Cannot remember the number though.

Bob

Bob Urz

Reply to
BoborAnn

"BoborAnn" ha scritto nel messaggio news:a snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

wouldn't

Little watch batteries are 1.55V

I.

Reply to
Inty

wouldn't

Just use the biggest cell that will fit and cobble something together to make contact. If a D cell works use it.

NSM

I opened it up and found two cells about 1.5 X a D cell tied in parallel so it must be ea high current application. Tomorrow I'll put a couple of D Cells in parallel and mount them in the original battery box Bob

Reply to
BoborAnn

Bob-

That sounds about the size of an "F" cell. I would expect a modern Alkaline D cell would have as much capacity as a carbon-zinc F cell.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie