EMP weapon

Franc Zabkar formulerede spørgsmålet:

It is easy to find 10000 people who can understand how paper ballots work and how they are secured.

To find ten people who understand how electronic voting works and how to make it both secure and anonymous is hard. You might find 100 who

*thinks* they know.

And if the rest of the population doesn't trust the machines, or the machine-attenders democracy is in trouble.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

By pressure of a hacking group "we don't trust voting compters" the Netherlands is back to a paper ballot system. They found that with a simple receiver you can say what a person is voting.

More to read:

Reply to
tuinkabouter

Rather narrow band and fairly easy to protect electronics against. It's the ? to multi GHz that do the most damage, since very few electronics can effectively protect against the WHOLE spectrum. Envision how the EMP finds the resonances and then ....

Reply to
Robert Macy

electronic voting is safe and reliable. "

Sure it can, the question is whether is actuallY IS

Reply to
jurb6006

electronic voting is safe and reliable. "

Sure it can, the question is whether is actuallY IS

Well actually, the question here is how can we destroy that technology when we believe it isn't.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Just chill out and wait. Won't be long before we all have 'chips' and big brother knows exactly where we are at all times. Will be hard to impersonate someone without creating a network address conflict. And our leaders will be selected by power brokers and lobbyists...just like they are now. Problem solved!!!

Reply to
mike

Just chill out and wait. Won't be long before we all have 'chips' and big brother knows exactly where we are at all times. Will be hard to impersonate someone without creating a network address conflict. And our leaders will be selected by power brokers and lobbyists...just like they are now. Problem solved!!!

Hmm, George Orwell couldn't have been more wrong. But then he didn't foresee the Internet, and how could he have done.

The idea that you can "rise up" and "destroy the machines" is an idea just as outdated, IMHO.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

The idea that you can "rise up" and "destroy the machines" is an idea just as outdated, IMHO.

Oh, didn't Arnie do that though? And he got to be Governor of California for quite a while?

Hmm, maybe there's something in that after all then.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Actually, many systems DO leave the paper trail. By state law in Missouri, all electronic voting machines must record a tamper-resistant paper record right inside the machine, visible to the voter through a window. It is basically the same as a cash register tape. It has both printed human readable info and a 2D bar code that can be scanned more quickly at the county government center. If there is doubt about the accuracy of the bar code, a roll can be counted by humans in a half hour or so and compared with the machine-readable tally.

Why every state doesn't do this, I can't possibly imagine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

We have mark-sense ballots in Missouri (in addition to electronic voting) and the voter places the ballots into a paper sleeve after making their marks. The voter then drops the ballot into the sealed and tamper-detecting ballot box himself. The box is picked up after the polls close by armed election officials and taken to a locked room at the count government center, and kept under multiple eyes until counted. At no time is an election judge EVER allowed to even touch a paper ballot.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

What states don't? Florida also keeps the paper ballot that's read by the machines in the voting precincts.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

peoples

is

So, nobody told you about the graveyard voters? Let alone people with multiple addresses? Cooking the vote with paper ballots is a century old practice at least.

That might help some. It discourages stupid ways of cheating.

Reply to
josephkk

Følgende er skrevet af josephkk:

I forgot to tell that I live in a country where everybody is registered at birth with a "Person-number". We get sent a voting card printed from that registry sent to our registered adress. This voting card is exchanged with a blank ballot at the voting place. So there is not possible to vote twice.

In Egypt 2000 years BC they had proper registers of the population, but I guess this is too complicated to have in USA :-)

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to
Leif Neland

Yes, the states that use mark-sense cards certainly have physical ballots that can be checked in a recount, or just spot checked to assure the computer counts match the physical ballots.

I think Ohio may be one of the states that used touch-screen voting with no paper generated at the polling place. That is worrisome, and there have been some anomalies reported, like zero votes for some candidate in an entire precinct.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Another good reason to have left Ohio, so many decades ago. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell