Electrolytic caps ...

Here's a good example of what we often talk about on here with regard to electros that are normally powered all the time, or at least every day, and then fail immediately, after a period of non use.

One of my bench irons, is a temperature controlled Antex station with a 50 watt handpiece. Up until when I went away on holiday a couple of weeks ago, it was on every day for 10 or more hours, and worked perfectly. Monday morning, after returning from 2 weeks away, I stumbled jet-lagged and grumpy into the workshop at 9am and switched the benches on. The display on the Antex was going berserk, with the temperature figures flickering and flashing. The up / down and menu buttons did nothing. So, first and much un-needed job was to find out what had gone wrong with it. When I opened it up, there was an unexpectedly complex board inside (considering that this is not an expensive tool), and there, right by the side of a regulator on a heatsink (where else, of course ... !!) was a 470uF 40v cap. It looked physically ok. No discolouring of the sleeve, no leakage of electrolyte, and no bulging, but when I ran the ESR meter over it, it went over 40 ohms.

A new cap of course cured the problem. I guess with its location being next to a hot component, it had been on its way for some time, but it didn't get to the point of causing any actual trouble, until it had not had volts across it for a couple of weeks.

In this particular case, it was merely an annoyance to have to repair it before I could start work. No damage had occured because the circuitry in the power supply is all linear. However, it lets you see how these cascade failures in switchers occur, when people power down their DVD player or whatever to go on holiday, and then when they come home and repower them, magic smoke gets released ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

(...)

Nope. Soldering irons require exercise. They also develop a rhythm. It's like a cat. If I leave kitty cat alone and neglected for what it considers an excessive amount of time, it will protest in a fairly predictable manner. That's usually droppings behind the couch, shredded furniture, sleeping on the clean laundry shelf, etc. Soldering irons are like that. Once accustomed to your daily attention, any change in the irons habits will result in a protest. In this case, the iron protested by destroying the electrolytic capacitor. Next time, it might be the display, heating element, cord, or a more expensive device. I'm not sure if your soldering iron requires your personal attention or if a surrogate soldering iron operator is acceptable. In the future, it might be useful to arrange with the neighbors to have them exercise your soldering iron if you decide to vacate again.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oh you are a jolly little tinker, Jeff ... !! d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:19:44 -0000, "Arfa Daily" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I notice you referred to it as "one of my bench irons". It would have been interesting had it been your only iron. ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Ha! Yes, I suppose it would ... Fortunately, I have another fixed temp Antex, and the Weller with the permanently burnt-out tip (see thread from a few weeks ago)

I don't know why I took the holiday in the first place. I've been back a couple of days, and feel as knackered now as before I went. Roll on Christmas ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

50

is

,

in

ade

m,

ted text -

Can you use some other words for "knackered" that those of us on the west side of the big pond would understand???

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Can you use some other words for "knackered" that those of us on the west side of the big pond would understand???

Bob Hofmann

How about "Bushed"?

Or McCained"?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

50

this

in

cascade

them,

quoted text -

Can you use some other words for "knackered" that those of us on the west side of the big pond would understand???

Bob Hofmann

________

knackered over here has the same meaning as the name that appears on Homer Simpson's favourite/favorite cans of beer. But does "duff" have the same maeaning in USA?

N_Cook

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:10:22 -0000, "Arfa Daily" put finger to keyboard and composed:

My current iron had an intermittent heating fault from new. Ironically [pun intended] the problem was a dry solder joint. I fixed it by holding the joint closed with an insulated rod and allowing the iron to warm up. I then unplugged it and used the residual heat to reflow the joint.

In your case I would have held a good cap in parallel with the bad one until the tip warmed up.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

How 'bout just plain ol' wore out....?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Can you use some other words for "knackered" that those of us on the west side of the big pond would understand???

Bob Hofmann

Given the context, I'm sure you could work it out, Bob. However, see

and

for descriptions of this word, common on the east side of the pond. You will see that there is an entry from the American Heritage Dictionary, so I am surprised that you have not come across this word, and the obvious connections to a 'knacker's yard' where worn out horses used to go, given that the primary mode of transport in the great US continent, was the humble horse, not so many decades ago ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily