Dumidifier whistles upon startup

I bought a Friedrich 40 pint dehumidifier. It makes a whistling noise for a few seconds when the compressor starts up. The whistling noise does not seem to happen if the unit wasn't run for a while. The noise sounds a little bit like a tea kettle whistle and sometimes alternates between a higher note and note that is maybe a major 3rd lower to a tritone lower. The pattern is Higher Note LowerNote HigherNote then no whistling. Sometimes it's more of a constant tone. Anyway the noise goes away after a few seconds. Is this normal?

J.

Reply to
jay

I forgot to mention that this is the 2nd unit I bought (returned another one that was same model for other reason) and the first one did not seem to whistle at start-up. Is this still normal even if another unit didn't seem to whistle?....just curious why this unit would whistle on start-up while the other. It Also, I'm curious why the whistling does not happen if the unit was powered down after a while. Just want to make sure this doesn't indicate a potential problem.

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jay

one

seem

Perhaps this one was built by the Seven Dwarfs ("Whistle while you work")?

Just whistle while you work And cheerfully together we can tidy up the place So hum a merry tune It won't take long when there's a song to help you set the pace

And as you sweep the room Imagine that the broom is someone that you love And soon you'll find you're dancing to the tune

(Spoken: Oh, no, no, no, no! Put them in the tub) When hearts are high the time will fly so whistle while you work

Reply to
NSM

Perhaps a bunch of dehumidifiers will fall on the Seven Dwarfs and instantly crush them to death, and then the whistling will thankfully come to a peacful halt. Now that's true happiness!

J.

Reply to
jay

This is because of the high pressure being generated by the compressor upon startup. The noise is different after it's been on awhile because now there is some residual pressure. It's probably perfectly normal. As for the unit you returned - why did you return it? If it was not functioning properly because it was freezing up or not dehumidifying then the reason it didn't make the noise is maybe because it never generated the correct pressure within the sealed system in the first place.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

I returned the other unit because it has a tendency to cycle on and off too much. This one seems have the same tendency, but this one *may* be varying the off part of the cycle a bit more than the other one. Frankly, I'm not sure if there is much difference between the two units, other than this one whistling for a few seconds if the compressor turns on when the unit hasn't been off for very long.

Both units are the Freidrich 40 pint, made by "L.G. Electronics" with electronic controls. If the room humidity, as measured by a digital hygrometer is only in the 40s or 50s, and I set the humidistat all the way up to the max setting of 70%, the unit will still cycle on and off frequently. There seems to be some "rule" built into the unit that it needs to measure the humidity by turning itself on for two minutes...then it will shut off for anywhere from 2.5 to 6 minutes. The problem is that these units engage the compressor during the "on for two minutes" to measure the humidity. It seems to me that if this unit were well designed, it should not have to engage the compressor AT ALL if set to 70% and the room humidity is only in the 40s or 50s.

Granted I don't plan on setting it at 70%. The problem is that when maintaining a moderate humidity, such as 50%, the unit tends to cycle on and off frequently (such as 2 minutes on, and maybe as low as 2 minutes off) which seems too frequent. How these units got Energy Star rating is beyond me? Now that I know that these units were designed to behave this way, I may choose to keep the current unit and simply leave it running in continuous mode and use the 2hour on/off or 4hour on/off timer. That should keep the average humidity moderate without cycling on and off like crazy. But I'm just hoping the whistling noise isn't a problem.

Ideally I'd like to keep the humidity just under 50% without the extremely frequent cycling. Not sure if that is a realistic goal with these "under $150" units. I suppose I could try the 30 pint "mechanical control" model that has a dial, but I'm not sure if this unit REALLY has a mechanical humidistat, or if the dial is just tied into an electronic control???

(I could try another brand, but currently there isn't much else available in the nearby stores)

J.

jay