Dos commands ( ver. 6.2)

I just installed a Dos program on my primary master drive thats running under Windows 98 and I would like to copy the entire program, that is the root directory and all its subdirectories into my slave drive to use as a backup. Does anyone know the proper Dos command including what switches to use so that the program will appear on the target drive just as it appears on the source drive? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

XCOPY *.* and I think it's XCOPY /s *.* for all the sub directories. should try xcopy /? and see if it spews out the help file.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to

cd \{where you want to dump the files} xcopy c:\directory\*.* . /E /C /F /H /K

The "." means the current working directory /E = Copy subdirectories including empty directories /C = Keep going even if there's an error. /F = Display file names during copy /H = Copy hidden and system files. /K = Also copy attributes

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

xcopy /s /e

But I think you have to copy drawer by drawer. Xcopy should ask you if it is a drawer or file you want to copy (when entering the xcopy command and the right destination, e.g. xcopy c:\games d:\games /s /e - you have to the type the destination drawer in order to get the proper result), choose 'drawer' and it copies the drawer and any/all subdirectories of the drawer...

Anything other in the root (files without a drawer) can be copied with 'copy *.*'

Copying the whole partition at once is a backup-program IMO. Maybe there is a DOS command available (MS-DOS Tool-Disk, supplemental disk, probably) which can do so. There is a file-manager on the supplemental disk! Freely available from

Daniel Mandic
Reply to
Daniel Mandic

Does this sound like a valid command: xcopy c:\WP51\*.* . /E /C /F /H /K d:\Wp51

Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

I don't know. I have no DOS right by hand...

I would write: xcopy c:\wp51 d:\wp51 /s /e

xcopy asks you then if wp51 should be a file or a directory. choose directory or drawer.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

If it's a Windows program it may place DLL files that it needs specific versions of to run in a common DLL directory. Copying the program/data files may not be enough.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

If you add a backslash at the end, xcopy "knows" that it is a directory, and proceeds without interruptions.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

May work, but the usual is source, destination, then the conditionals xcopy c:\WP51\*.* d:\WP51\*.* /E /C /F /H /K From memory, I had trouble xcopying filenames which contained blanks, and other Windows 'normally accepted' characters. the /E will keep the program copying and you may not notice a file is missing,

but then again if the program is set up for DOS then all the names probably are legitimate.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert Macy