Do Ceramic Disc Caps Leak?

I opened up a used Enermax EG351P-V computer power supply to inspect before installing in a system. All the electrolytics looked good and I believe the power supply is working fine (I've included no-load test results). But near one of the heatsinks I found this:

A blue epoxy dipped disc capacitor was leaning up against one of two standing power resistors that it is installed between. I pried it off of the smaller resistor and you can kind of see where it was attached (the clean spot on the smaller resistor). I chipped off some of the brown gunk and it is very similar looking to other hot melt glue used in the PS to glue down the larger electrolytics, but also appeared a bit different, dirtier perhaps (maybe burnt?). You can also see what could be a smear of this same brown glue on the larger resistor.

So, is it possible that the disc capacitor was purposefully hot glued to a power resistor? I believe the reason would be to keep it away from the larger power resistor which might damage it more. Do disc caps leak like electrolytics?

No lead readings: red: 5.11 yellow: 12.3 white: -4.7 orange: 3.43 blue: -10.66 purple, grey: 5.11

Reply to
biddy67

There's nothing (I know of) in ceramic caps to leak.

It wouldn't be surprising if the cap was hot-glued in place.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Depends what you mean by "leak".

No, I've never seen one that physically leaks any internal material or chemical.

Yes, I've seen many that leak electrically, as in anywhere from a coupla hundred k to short circuit.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm pretty sure this is glue to keep the resistors in place. It is darker because the resistors run quite hot.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Just what are you nattering on about?

Oh, I see. A google gr00per.......

Reply to
Spamm Trappe

That's just glue, and some companies use a yellow kind that turns brown and powdery in just a few months of use.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me