Dishwasher revival

I have a portable Whirlpool dishwasher that hasn't been needed in 10 years. If I use it right out of storage is it likely to leak from dried out and cracked nylon couplings or something?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Nylon is fine when dry, but ten years is likely to leave the hoses in poor condition (portable dishwashers usually have flex hoses to the plumbing attach point). Those aren't hard to replace, but if you want 'em to look pretty, get a factory-replacement part with the right crimps.

As for 'likely', I'd say plug it in and find out. The external layer of the hoses might look cracked, but that ISN"T the layer that holds the water pressure. If youi can do the first test outdoors, or over a drain, and use a GCFI receptacle for power, faults can't hurt you.

But maybe you don't want the best dishes in the tub when testing.

Reply to
whit3rd

Also it is likely the door seals are dried out and it will happily leak all over the place.

I'd test it outside instead of in my kitchen...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Generally, those gaskets are symetrical. It might be fixed by mounting the gaset upside down. The bottom is more compressed than the top ans thus can leak.

Reply to
Look165

I had a dishwasher disaster when the steam therein shorted out the ''control card''.

I now find I can live happily without one, no doubt saving heaps on power & water.

Consider this option unless you run a boarding house.

My front-load washing machine brochure advises to leave the front door open or ajar between washes to save on seal wear.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Per the literature, our Bosch uses 2.4 gallons of water for the typical loa d, and about 4.4 gallons for 'scrub-the-paint-off-a-board' mode - which we seldom use. And, as there is no direct heating element, there are no worrie s about melting anything or anyone getting burnt. It has the capacity to ma ke its own hot water, although if the domestic hot water is enough (150F), it will not. As most of us do not keep our domestic water at 150F, that is also a useful feature. We do not have to scrape dishes, anything softer th an a hard nut and smaller than walnut is fine, and crusty eggs, pasta sauce and similar are no challenge at all. Those hard nuts will simply wind up i n the pan-filter, no clogs.

Point being that a well-designed unit will get dishes cleaner, using less w ater, less energy and fewer chemicals than hand-washing unless one is incre dibly efficient about it. The dynamics change if one lives alone, or has o n-site sanitation, tankless water heater and any of several other condition s that mitigate towards hand-washing.

Also useful for sterilizing radio chassis and other equipment that has been 'moused' or worse.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

'no doubt' usually means a person hasn't worked it out & doesn't know.

[...]

en 'moused' or worse.

Great for modern stuff too, just not relays or speakers etc.

I calculated a few years ago that handwashing could save around 40p/hr comp ared to using a machine. If anyone wants to work for that much, what can on e say.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not if you want to stay married. Or do you have a separate machine for cleaning electronics gear than the kitchen machine?

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Some folk have been known to wash bog seats in them. Those are the ones that don't stay married.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have three dishwashers. One in the kitchen at the house, one in the kitchen in the "mother in law" apartment behind the house, and one at the shop.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

John:

It is a division of labor that has worked now for very nearly 39 years, 36 of them married. I am in charge of appliance O&M and their proper function. My wife is a user of same, and as long as they operate smoothly when she n eeds them, she could care less on the throughput.

As we are on a municipal sewer with the means to control phosphorous, and c helate heavy metals, I have no qualms about using conventional detergents. Which, in turn, contain enough bleach as to render any creepy-crawlies dead . So, when she needs the Dishwasher, the inside (stainless) is pristine and odor-free.

Our shared joke is that the hobby keeps me close to home, does not eat, and is cheaper than another woman.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

6 of them married. I am in charge of appliance O&M and their proper functio n. My wife is a user of same, and as long as they operate smoothly when she needs them, she could care less on the throughput.

chelate heavy metals, I have no qualms about using conventional detergents . Which, in turn, contain enough bleach as to render any creepy-crawlies de ad. So, when she needs the Dishwasher, the inside (stainless) is pristine a nd odor-free.

nd is cheaper than another woman.

You must have some high falootin' women round your parts Peter..

Reply to
John-Del

I think other women would be cheeper for me than the hobby IF I had the money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I would like to think so!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

That is all true -- except that the common detergent packs or liquids are e xtremely caustic. Much more so than the liquids used for hand-washing dishe s. Something to consider.

Terry

water, less energy and fewer chemicals than hand-washing unless one is inc redibly efficient about it. The dynamics change if one lives alone, or has on-site sanitation, tankless water heater and any of several other conditi ons that mitigate towards hand-washing.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Yes, I live alone in unalloyed bliss. Additionally, I can get by on but one shower/week (except during heat waves and the odd bone-chilling winter's day.)

Reply to
Peter Jason

This could be why you live alone.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I don't care. Washing too often leaches the skin of natural oils and protective fauna. A occasional cat-lick at the sink keeps one clean & healthy. Don't believe everything advertisers tell you.

Reply to
Peter Jason

And, evaluate carefully the things you see espoused by idiots in the interweb!

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia