Dell Inspiron N5110: System time does not advance when unit is off.

On page 99 of the schematic you can see the CMOS battery output labeled as RTC_AUX_S5. I did a text search for that and it took me to page 27 which shows VBACKUP. There are two partial circuits there. One appears to be for the CMOS battery backup and the other one, 3D3V_AUX_KBC, appears to be the backup power supplied when the unit is turned on. Both of these circuits point to EC GPIO72. Regarding the RTC_AUX_S5 diagram, there's an orange ellipse around the specifications for a resistor. It says 10mW 0R0402-PAD-2-GP. Might that be a fusible link? Also, I see the words "stuff" and "un-stuff" appearing frequently in the schematic. Are those synonyms for install and remove?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

The RTC is only read once on startup of the operating system, which then maintains the increment of it's own internal counter. There is no 'write-back' if current OS time settings are left alone by the user.

The BIOS time itself not incrementing is the fault, I reckon the chipset has got itself into a funny state and needs a reset which you haven't yet done. I'd try finding the G2101 link I mentioned.

Interestingly, the ACER ASPIRE V5 471 has the same labelled jumper, similar circuit (same original manufacturer) - and googling that "G2101", it looks a known reset method for locked BIOS etc. That Acer motherboard visually looks different, but the G2101 triangular pads were located under the DIMM sockets. Maybe Dell is in a similar location.

--
Adrian C
Reply to