CTC132 bad video

I ran into a freebee, been looking al over the net, some suggestions say that I should have left it, since I heard that the chopper supply fails, flyback fails, and most common HV block failures.

Well, its tagged from repairs a few years ago, so its probably been overhauled, but you never know.

The set works fine. produces a fine picture.

But the picture looks like your watching a bad channel on antenna, lots of ghosting and noise.

I thought it was a bad tuner, until I tried to use the RCA jacks, auxillary inputs do the exact same thing. The color is fine, picture is a little blurry (dirt and age probably). but it is VERY noisey.

any ideas why? is it bad solder or caps in the video amp? I dont have a schematic or service data, so im working in the blind folded here. Thanks..

--
Mike.
Reply to

Lots of bad capacitors in that one, especially in the SMPS. I also seem to remember the glass pack delay line going bad and not being available.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Seriously doubt the delay line is bad, since I get a perfect picture. Just lots of white noise like patterns in it.

auxillary

Thanks..

Reply to
Mike

There are two traps in that model. I don't remember the numbers, but they have green shrouds on top. You can try tweaking them with a square drive tuning wand.

Reply to
John-Del

I remember working on a 27" that could have been a 132 with a noisy picture. I adjusted something in the comb filter that greatly improved the picture. It was still a little noisy, but much better than before. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I dont have any schematics or data for this model, so I have no idea where the comb and SAW filters would be.

Its noisey and ghosting a little bit just like a bad antenna channel, but its evident in all inputs and tuner.

If I change the input from the tuner to auxilary, the picture is slow to appear.

Reply to
Mike

I also forgot to mention, the color fluctuates a little bit with the noise. but the picture is rock solid, no bad sync, or luminance.

Reply to
Mike

Start with all the capacitors in the power supply board.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I took it all the way apart, all the power supply caps, and Q402 look like they have been changed.

All the secondary power supply caps hardly have any dust on them, compared to the rest of the board, and underneith the board, you can see where a tech has resoldered a shitload of stuff on the secondaries of the power supply.

it probably came in as a dead set in the past.

So, the power supply looks to have been taken care of.

Reply to
Mike