CRT TV SMPS

I continue to try and repair a CRT TV. The set's main SMPS is a discrete, self oscillating design. The set powers up for a few seconds and then shuts down; I think the Micon controller chip releases the AC relay. The B+ open circuit voltage is 139V (ie disconnected from the horizontal output). When a 60W bulb is substituted as a load for the 'horizontal', the voltage is zero, not a glimmer from the bulb. How can the B+ power up the set, albeit briefly, but not light the bulb? Is there a problem with a simple resistive load? Is it possible that the horizontal stage is essential to the operation of the SMPS? Any thoughts please?

BobH

Reply to
pfm

A light bulb is not really a 'simple resistive load'. When the filament is cold, its resistance is much lower than when it's up to temperature, so it might just be that when the power supply tries to drive it from cold, it just represents a bit too much of a load, causing the PSU to trip back to standby.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:YXQln.119129$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.ams:

problem is probably bad electrolytic caps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik