computer security

Welcome To

Computer Security News:

  1. Firewalls Torn Apart
  2. Guide To Social Engineering
  3. Social Engineering And Email Account Cracking
  4. Network Firewall Security
  5. Hijacking Hotmail Accounts For Newbies
  6. Various Ways To Hack Or Over Ride Foolproof
  7. Configuring ZoneAlarm Securely
  8. IP Masquerading Tutorial
  9. Interesting Things You Didnt Know About Your Computers Hardware
  10. Advanced Number Systems Made Easy
  11. Hacking Dictionary
  12. Hacking The Bios
  13. DNS The What The How And The Why
  14. Exploit Mihirs Guide To Inserting Logo To System Properties
  15. Getting Geographical Information Using An IP Address
  16. Create A Lightweight E Mailer
  17. Telnet Explained
  18. Installing A Webserver For NewbiesI
  19. The IP Address
  20. Being A Hacker On The Meaning Of Being A Hacker
Reply to
julylyne

I use Internet Explorer as my web access for my business. We are in sales and we all work on commisions here based on the leads we generate. So privacy is very important. Computer access is shared among employees. My search procedure is that I usually just go to google or dogpile and type in the word of the site I'm looking for and when I'm shown a list I click on it and it takes me there. There is never a record of the visit stored on Google so I always felt that this is a secure way to search. However, I just noticed that most computers keeps a running memory of which sites have been visited in the address bar. I noticed this quite by accident when attempting to type an address in the address bar and as soon as I typed so much as www, a list of things came up. Further, if I type www.s for instance every site beginning with s that has been visited comes up. I've gone into Internet options and deleted cookies and offline content. The addresses remained until I cleared history. However that clears everything else as well. What I am asking is this. If I go to a computer that has an existing history on it and I visit a site, can I make it so that there is no record of my visit yet retain all the existing sites in the computer's history? This is very important to me as the security of my job may depend on it. Thanks, John.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Google found this.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

It's unfortunate that most browsers are 'all or nothing' when it comes to saving or removing cookies, history and stuff. We need a 'suspend' saving cookies and history and stuff.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

?       ?       ¥
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Claude_Hopper_=

If you had two separate browser installations you could use one for logging and the other set for delete all cookies and history on exit. You could add Firefox, Opera or Seamonkey browsers and set them to delete everything on exit.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

?       ?       ¥
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Claude_Hopper_=

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

The history is usually maintained on a 'per user' basis. If each user logs in with a separate userid and password, your history (and settings) should be separate from other users. Just be sure you log in as a different user and clearing your history should have no effect on the 'main owner' of the system.

It may be worthwhile to set up a domain controller and assign each user an id on the domain, allowing domain users to log into any machine. All user information can even be stored on the domain controller.

It sounds like you need for someone to come in and set up your network for you so that various options and hazards are properly weighed.

Your company also needs to be aware of legal liabilities associated with storing and sharing clients data.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

Can't you install Firefox on a USB thumb drive and run it from there with your own settings and history?

Reply to
James Sweet

If you are comfortable with modifying the registry - HKEY_USERS\\.DEFAULT\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\TypedURLs This is where your typed urls are stored in W98, don't know about other operating systems. You can delete any of these keys.

Reply to
bg

Most corporations do not allow users to install any unauthorized software on to their computers. The users normally have a very basic access with no rights to be allowed to install any kind of software. They must call IT support for installations and modifications.

--
JANA
_____
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
JANA

I've never worked anywhere like that, we've always had full admin access over our own PC's, but perhaps things are different outside the tech industry.

Reply to
James Sweet