Component idenification

Gentlemen,

Having put together a dim bulb tester for current-limiting purposes and fired up the faulty 'scope, this component gets hot. I'm not really sure what it is, though and there are no markings on it at all except for two tiny blobs of paint. Anyone know?

Cursitor Doom

That's an NTC inrush limiter. It has roughly constant power dissipation, when in use and is expected to run warm.

What is the actual current draw? Is your bulb dim?

You should be able to identify parts from board designators and the reference manual.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's what I thought too. But there's no such component visible on the schematic:

4x40W bulbs for 160W all together and they're all full-on.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote: ________________________

** What about " RT1010" ???

Resistor Thermal 7.5 ohms.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Then it's time to find the short cct.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sure is. I came across a section of the service manual I hadn't found before (I find service manuals in PDF format *so* difficult to navigate) and it's provided a list of parts to check in the event of this fault arising. The list is quite lenghty, but is at least limited by virtue of there being a multi-pronged jumper which interconnects certain sections and by removing that you can drastically reduce the number of parts to take a closer look at if the fault then clears, which it has. Fingers crossed, eh?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The list is quite lenghty, but is at least limited

OK - if the fault clears when a jumper is removed, then you know that the fault is in the removed section, correct? Not the other way around?

Too many individuals think it works the other way, sadly.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Yes, you're effectively removing the connection to the damaged section; the section which has some component in it which has gone low-resistance.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

This kind of fault would be so much easier to detect if we had IR glasses to view the suspect areas with. Someone really needs to invent those.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not cheap. The lenses exist - military versions for the most part. But not particularly fine-pitched.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

You should be able to track a short this close to the AC input with a multimeter on diode test mode.

brodge rec, inverter fets bulk caps

to start.

RL

Reply to
legg

yes, and actually, tracking down the short on the downstream sections (modules) should not be that difficult either, using the same approach. After all the faulty component is SHORTED which should be easy to find. Yea, it is a PITA to check every single component (sort of the brute force way to check), but judicious studying of the schematic and identifying appropriate points to isolate and subsequently test can prune away a number of branches in the tree fairly quickly so as to speak.

Maybe bounce over to the tek google groups and ask if there are any common component failures that should be targeted first? Otherwise, enjoy getting intimate with the guts of your scope....

Reply to
three_jeeps

Turns out those early items in the power chain are fine, so I'm moving on down the line to the less obvious items. The service manual has a list of chief suspects to look at first, so hopefully that should prove invaluable.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yup. Totally agree. I'm doing just that now.....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Got 'er!

I'm not at all familiar with the topology they've used in this PSU, but I believe it's the chopper transistor (I should have guessed) that's gone low-resistance: Q1050. It was releasing quite a bit of heat even at only 18VAC supply with the current limited via 4x40 bulbs to boot. I removed it from circuit to check and it was dead. So I'm hoping that's the only part that's been damaged. It's an IRF820 and I have a bunch of IRF840s so will press one of those into service in place of the burnt-out one. Pin-outs just the same, just a lower Rdson figure, which is no bad thing. One question, though: they've mounted these transistors without using a screw through the mounting tab of this TO-220 package. The devices are just 'leaning' against some white pad mounted on the heat sink (see photo). Is there some special grease required to mate the transistor to the white pad or can I just use the regular silicon grease for this? It doesn't seem like a very good way of ensuring thermal conductivity. :-/

Cursitor Doom

That'd be 'silicone' grease; the picture showing studs over the power package indicates that an L-shaped or Z-shaped pressure arm (maybe three separate ones) was designed into the system. Why else would there be a threaded rod there?

whit3rd

If that's the case, maybe it was removed at some time, shortening the life of the chopper. I'll do something about that regardless. BTW, the threaded rods are there to retain plastic covers which encase the 3 devices (don't ask me why as I haven't a clue what purpose they serve but certainly not to press bear the transistors to the heatsink, that much is certain).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The 'plastic' covers may serve the purpose of forced device retension.

Depends on material composition and design.

'just leaning' is not what is intended here. ...

Diode test for other shorts.

Check resistance gate to source pads of empty fet location.

Should read diode drop minimum, or gate drive cct is compromised.

RL

Reply to
legg

"cct"? Is that short for circuit?

Thank you, Legg, I shall duly do so. I'm just hoping the transformer windings are still okay and that the shorted chopper hasn't sucked too much current through them, 'cos that would probably be terminal for the scope.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would guess insulation - is that part connected to mains?

Reply to
Carlos E.R.