Christmas Light Question

I have a string of lights around my garage door then it goes over a few feet to the front door. I covered the bulbs with electrical tape in the area between both doors so it looks better at night when lit up. I read about it on the internet somewhere. Just wanted to ask, do you think this is safe? Thanks, Tiann PS These are mini lights

Reply to
Blackthreechevy

nice effect, all you can get is a hardened piece of tape out of it.

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

It seems that at this time of the year, Christmas lights always come up in these groups!

There should be no danger. These lamps normally don't get very hot, especially when used outdoors. At the most, the tape may be very rubbery, or it may become very hard. It will make a mess that can be a bit difficult to clean up.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

Had a neighbour once who did basically the same thing a few years back. Once the outside air temp starting getting to about -20C at night he found the tape was coming loose off the bulbs. He had a small can of high temp black paint for doing touch-up painting on his woodstove. He dipped the bulbs in the paint and it worked great with no mess and no tape falling off any more. I don't know if he is still using them or not since he has since moved away.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks for all the replies! I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday & found black "caps" that fit over the lights and completely black them out. I bought them ($1.99 for 30), came home & removed all the tape and replaced it with the caps. It looks much better than the tape and now I won't have to worry about a sticky mess!

Reply to
Blackthreechevy

Thanks for answering back with your solution. That's a good tip for someone who doesn't know that these caps exist and has been using tape.

Reply to
Mikey