Gadget for troubleshooting miniature Xmas light strings

For those of us who despise miniature Christmas light strings because bulb shunts fail to operate when a bulb burns out, thus causing whole sections of the string go dark, I think I have found the magic solution.

It's a gadget called "Light Keeper PRO". It looks like a toy ray gun (Google it for a picture and where to buy). All you do is plug in the defective light string, remove one of the unlit bulbs, plug the empty bulb socket into a socket on the device and pull a trigger. It forces the shunt in the burned out bulb to operate allowing the remaining bulbs to light. Replace the bulb you removed and look for the burned out bulb that caused the problem. My guess is that it generates a electrical pulse similar to a gas grill starter to somehow force a defective shunt to operate.

In case the problem is caused by a wiring defect of some sort, the Light Keeper PRO also has a audio voltage detector for tracing the electric field in the wiring. It also tests bulbs and fuses.

So far I've repaired 2 light strings. In both cases it was due to faulty bulb shunts so I haven't had occasion to use any of the other options. When those lights fail while in use outdoors it's a real pain to manually troubleshoot.

I found mine at a Meijer store for $20. I suspect they can be had cheaper if you look around.

Merry Christmas, Rush

PS: I have no affiliation whatsoever with this gadget other than being a happy as hell user.

Reply to
rush14

It does. It has a piezo element.

It's quite an elaborate gizmo. The user manual is huge.

I got one at a local hardware store for $10. I also spoke to the owner on the phone. Nice guy.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck