cheap recommended lighted glasses with magnifier?

Have recently set up a small work bench with scope, signal generator and various other test equipment. The only magnifier I have is a glass I cannibalized from a broken "helping hands". The glass is mounted to one of those small snake lamps with the lamp removed. However, I find this more inconvenient than convenient because it takes up space I need for working.

What would you recommend for glasses that's cheap, has a built in light and maybe has variable magnification and mag is such that I can view a circuit board without bending down over the device? I suppose a flip up or away magnifier might be useful too. I don't wear glasses normally.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Erik W

92310573107

The magnetic base is extremely powerful, so it will attach to any steel bas e anywhere. It has a very good twin LED light and a very sharp magnifier. T he flexes are quite strong and hold position very well. I wear glasses, s o magnifying glasses are not a comfortable options, never mind the weight. Do be aware of the weight. It may not bother you at first, but anything mor e than an ounce or two *WILL* bother you over time. But, along those lines , are these:

p/B0015IS6K2/ which come in a variety of magnifications. I am not sure if they come with built-in lighting.

Here is the full line.

Note: Good tools are not cheap. And cheap tools are not good.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

I use and like a binocular headband magnifier, very similar to this:

=1620838872&sr=8-25

The one I got is a no-name brand that I picked up at a hamfest years ago. All the lenses are plastic. in addition to one fixed lens, there are two a dditional lenses that fold up out of the way into the visor. My magnifiers are 2x, 4x, 8x. IMHO, using tools with the 2x and 4x on, such as solderin g, requires a little getting used to. I find the 8x almost impossible to u se with tools and only comes in handy for inspection and for me, can't be w orn for long. I found the external loop handy in a few situations. I am not a fan of the built in lighting system as they are not usually well directed to the workpiece and tend not to be very bright. I like that the visor portion folds up and out of the way when not needed. Given these are plastic lenses, the optical quality is not that great and m ay be a challenge if you wear them for a long period of time. If that is t he case, I suggest looking at high grade optical lenses (perhaps glass?). The price will definitely go up. Good luck

Reply to
Three Jeeps

Similar but even cheaper and for $5.00 worth a try at Harbor Freight:

Bennett Price

nd

&qid=1620838872&sr=8-25

o.

o additional lenses that fold up out of the way into the visor. My magnifie rs are 2x, 4x, 8x. IMHO, using tools with the 2x and 4x on, such as solderi ng, requires a little getting used to. I find the 8x almost impossible to u se with tools and only comes in handy for inspection and for me, can't be w orn for long.

well directed to the workpiece and tend not to be very bright.

ed.

nd may be a challenge if you wear them for a long period of time. If that i s the case, I suggest looking at high grade optical lenses (perhaps glass?) . The price will definitely go up.

I bought the HF visor today. Surprisingly it isn't bad at all, especially for the price, but I don't do hours of close work. And you do have to bend over close to the work, which the OP didn't want. For me though it means no longer having to find one of my kids when I need to read the fine print on a medication container, paint can, any of the usual things i struggle wi th.

Reply to
Tim R

What optics do you need to "find one of my kids"? ;-)

Reply to
Mike Coon