charging battery with no terminals

i have a portable charger and removed my battery from vehicle however the terminals are connected to the wiring that remained in the van; so my dilemma being i have nothing to connect the charger to on the battery.QUESTION BEING: can i screw bolts into sockets where the terminals were unscrewed and if so do they have to be a specific metal in order to conduct the charge or do i need to return battery to vehicle?? help!

Reply to
labellenash

The type of metal is unimportant, you should observe polarity, and make sure not to damage the threads.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

You have never seen "Alligator clips" to connect to battery terminals ??

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

It sounds as if you have a normal side-terminal battery......what you need is a couple of 3/8UNC bolts to screw into the sockets (just barely tighten) to give you something to clip your charger to. As others have stated.....note the polarity (it'll "usually" be formed right into the plastic over top of those respective terminals...probably right on the top cover).

By the wording of your question, I'd guess this is not something you're familiar with so be careful or get a little help.

Gord

If you're talking about side terminal batteries. You can use any bolt with the correct threads. Unless you are charging at a very high rate the metal doesn't matter.

Check out an auto parts or department store for battery terminal adapters. They are round terminals like you're used to seeing that screw into the side of the battery - if you use it often enough it may be worth getting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default