Car stereo display panel dim

I have a Blaupunkt Honolulu CD player whose LED screen suddenly went very dim a while back. I removed the front panel, cleaned the contacts (alcohol, compressed air), even took the panel apart and cleaned up whatever I could -- all to no avail. Any tips on what else can be done?

TIA

Reply to
Bob

We need to establish first, what sort of display it is, as dimness will have different reasons. It is unlikely to be a LED display, but if it is, it will be a drive problem. If it is an LCD panel, then the backlighting will probably have failed. If it is a VFD, the problem will be that the inverter that generates the negative 30v supply for the panel, and the filament supply, will be producing low output, probably due to a bad cap.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Isn't that a 2001 model unit? This unit should have an LCD display. Underneath the display there should be 2 6.3v microlamps wired in series, as this unit was actually manufactured by Sony for Blaupunkt. You have to remove the LCD to replace the lamps. East Coast Transistor has the lamps, I can't remember if their catalog number is ML14 or ML15, one of them is 6.3, the other is 12v. Their website is:

but you'll have to call to order the generic items, they only have the Kenwood catalog online.

Jammy

Reply to
ampdoc