Capacitor Testing.

I currently have a LCD projector in which I believe the convergence circutry is messing up. Since this unit has quite a few electrolytic caps in it, I think theres a good possiblilty that there could be a few that are bad. Unfortunately my ESR metere is 2,000 miles away. Ive considered buying another meter since it would be nice to have, but is there any good way to check these things without a meter? I have a DMM and a soldering iorn here. thats about it. They are all small SMD caps which fortunately I think I can get locally here.. I could probably replace all of the caps cheapr than buying another meter, but that is a pain.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I would think you some kind of signal generator aside from ststic tests. I get better reading from an analog meter on charging caps.

greg

Reply to
GregS

See

and find "Scope ESR - submitted by Michael Mayerhofer" on the page.

Or

ESR Testing

Or

99 Cent ESR Test Adapter

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I didn't know about these tricks.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I think you could also use just a meter instead of oscilloscope.

greg

Reply to
GregS