Bench lighting ideas.

Hi all,

Everybody likes good lighting I'm sure except I have few needs. Replacing the old fixtures.

Have to be electronic ballasts. I get tired from 60hz exposure and sore, dry eye. Good CRI at least 80+. Color temp between 3500K - 4100K but I could use "Sylvania's sunshine" (Phlips C50) which is about

5000K and would like to know your experiences with these.

But the store I visited was told about law in ontario canada says can only get 32W maximum for F40 length (4 foot) and higher for F96 (8 foot) but I think this is bull?

I rather take 40W fluorescents since the type of bulbs I'm looking for has the specs I want.

My current set up as now over my bench is 10 feet ceiling with old 2 x

4 foot fixtures, each fixture has 2 bulbs. Next to it is one twin bulb F96 (8 foot).

For close work, ideas on using incendscents lights to light specific areas?

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Actually 40W tubes are legal at the moment, but only in the premium phosphors, not the old halophosphate stuff (CW, WW, etc) though far less efficient incandescent stuff has regulations at all thanks to the usual beaurocratic nonsense that makes up our largely useless energy laws. The thing is, few "40W" ballasts run the lamps at anywhere near full power, so a pair of 32W T8's on an electronic ballast are actually considerably brighter than a pair of 40W T12's, plus you get no flicker. You can even get ballasts that overdrive the lamps if you need more light, but it's easier to just use more lamps and cheap T8 ballasts you can get at a hardware store to run up to 4 lamps each. Personally I like F32T8/850's, 86 CRI 5000K, nice bright clean white light.

Reply to
James Sweet

I never did understand this law. Won't people just end up using more bulbs to make up for their lower light output? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Modern tri-phosphor tubes produce less flicker anyway. But go for electronic ballasts.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Tis what happens when folks that believe in "Intelligent Design" help make laws. See also: Low flush toilets that require 2-3-4 cycles to clear all "solids".

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones     | jonz          | W3DHJ  |  linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Knee jerk reactions by politicians to 'public outcry'. Or more likely the sensationalist press. "Something *must* be done" And trade organisations looking after their member's interests or trying to increase their subscription income by making it compulsory. Leading to poorly thought out legislation.

In the UK, it's now just about illegal to add an extra socket to an existing domestic installation. Despite this being well within the capability of a decent DIYer, since the UK ring main power circuits don't restrict the total number of outlets. And there being little evidence of such DIY work being dangerous. What has been shown to be dangerous is the use of overloaded extension leads etc - fire risk, and also the chance of tripping over them. And perfectly competent jobbing electricians who would do such work for a reasonable price are being pushed out of the market by the high cost of registration etc.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes but since when has logic and common sense played any part in making laws? Some "expert" probably said hey look if we require the common lamps to be lower wattage we'll save X amount of energy overall.

The lamp makers had a part in the legislation too, by making the requirment apply only to the standard phosphors, they could push their more expensive premium phosphor lamps more effectively since they look that much better next to the dim flickering energy savers.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yeah that would piss me off too, though on the other hand you should see some of the wiring the previous owner did in my house, it's amazing the place never burned down! If only they'd focus more on educating people rather than making more laws.

Reply to
James Sweet

There was a piece on "CarTalk" (

) this last weekend. The discussion went somewhat:

Remember the focus on the wasting of water and an impending clean water shortage that rose up a decade or two back? Remember the government's edict to put a brick in each toilet to save water?

(Aside: Remember, too, the more recent duct-tape and plastic edict?)

Well, since we now have a gasoline shortage, why doesn't everybody put a brick in their vehicle's fuel tank to save fuel?

I fear one or more elected suits was also listening to the same radio show...

Jonesy