Band Amp jig for protecting tubes/valves during repair

When working on a power amp outside of its case and of the normal form with mains transformer at one end and output matching transformer at the other. Assuming the valves don't extend too far. Aluminium sheet about 20 inches by 5 inches. Bend down the middle lengthways to a right angle and place between the transformers protecting the third corner. Hold in place with a pair of large cable ties or doubled/trebled up smaller ones, preferably with delatchable grips .

N Cook

Hiya!

I have several sets of thingies I use. They're just a pair of 3/4" X

10" X 10" boards nailed together at right angles (think over-sized bookends). They sit upright on the bench, making sort of a box shape with an open end facing you.

Looking down from above: ________ ________ | | | | | | | |

(hope that comes out right; I could post pix...)

Once they're the right distance apart, the amp fits on\in the top. Sometimes I get an amp with the trannies right at the edge of the chassis, but I usually rig up something to accomodate. It's quite stable and wicked simple. Since I like to work standing up, it puts the amp at a better height, and allows ample room underneath.

HTH, DT

Reply to
dwavetone