Autopsy on a failed 50W LED floodlight

Chinese no-name YXY-FGD-50W White goo under the LED metal backing, only covering about 1/3 of the area, as originally placed blob , not fully splurged. Bowing of the metal at rear of the LED array , probably at original placement due to blob shape of the goo , only maybe worsened in use. So heatsinking via the periphery only , ie delayed heatsinking.

Reply to
N_Cook

The 12v 5A SMPS units from China as well only have a thin seam of white thermal paste at the edge of the switching transistors to make it 'appear' properly done, there is none between the transistor and the heatsink = early failure.

I have to reapply paste on all before I use them.

Reply to
Ancel B