Astron RS-35M POWER SUPPLY

I have an Astron RS-35M. I load it down with 1 ohm and it wont come up when I flip the power on. I load it with an 8amp load and it comes up but there is quite a delay. If I power up the supply before I add the load, there seems to be no problem.

Is this normal.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

when

there

Yes. I have no problem with a 20 amp load though. I think it is factory set to Short protect trip at 40 amps, and crowbar at 15v (big issue for battery float) but the regulator takes a half second on power-up for the caps to charge. After the trip, power must be removed for a few minutes to reset it. One way to deal with this problem is to set current limit to a lower level. The supply can be easily modded to the VS-35M by adding the pots. Making these screw adjust behind a vent keeps these from being bumped and avoids drilling the steel front panel.

Several versions of PDF schematics and discussions of the idiosyncrasies and mods are available on the Internet.

Reply to
JB