APC hums (buzzes) when hair dryer is run in another room

Hi!

unit

It's probably nothing to worry about. I had a PS/2 Model 80 whose power supply made a noticeable buzzing noise every time the power floor cleaner attachment was used on a household vacuum.

What you are probably hearing is the vibration of a transformer. I don't know specifically about the Back-UPS Pro models, but the Smart UPS and Back UPS RS models have voltage correction circuits built into them. These can adjust high or low line voltage without going to battery. Your unit could be doing this. If it is, you won't hear any beeping. The only sign of it is an entry in the PowerChute software--if you are using that and have a version that keeps an event log. (PowerChute Plus and the APC network management cards (only for the Smart-UPS) do have an event log. I don't know about PowerChute Personal or Business editions.)

I don't think you'll find that any damage is happening to the UPS or your computer. However, you really should try to ground the UPS somehow. For its internal surge protection to be effective, you may have to do so.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

In article , n3wsr3ad3r_|@|_sbcglobal.net (known to some as BE) scribed...

You really, REALLY need to run new wiring if you expect to be able to safely run modern equipment. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't run anything more modern than a desk lamp until I'd brought everything up to current code.

No UPS was ever designed to run ungrounded. I won't be at all surprised if the APC's 'Site Wiring Fault' warning light is on continuously. At the very least, you need to run a proper ground for the thing, and that will also have the effect of properly grounding everything you attach to it.

With an eventual upgrade in mind: Many states allow homeowners to do their own electrical work IF it is inspected after said work is done. Honestly, it's not that hard. I replaced our entire breaker panel (upgraded from 125-amp main to 200), and it passed inspection on the first try.

Your biggest issues are to use approved wire (non-metallic sheath cable, recommend #12 all around so you can do 20-amp outlets by default), and to make sure whatever breaker panel replaces the fuse box has enough spots for everything you want to do.

Do yourself a favor: Ground that APC now, and make upgrading the house wiring a major priority.

Happy tweaking.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:47:59 +0000, Homer J Simpson Has Frothed:

Gotcha.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:15:40 +0000, CJT Has Frothed:

It didn't and that was 15 years ago.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Like I said earlier, it is not possible. I am a renter in this house; the house is located in a very desirable location of my city (among the best schools in the nation) and its unimproved condition allows us to pay very low rent. The landlord is sitting on a huge windfall if he sells because he's owned this property since 1969 and we don't want to push him to sell by making such a request (not that it would). We hope to stay at least 2 more years in this house. In the sense that it might make it harder to sell, the recent real estate downturn (and glut of unsold properties) is a good thing for us (but at the same time not good because my wife is a realtor).

Hence, an upgrade to the wiring is _impossible_.

Yes, that light is continuously on.

I will search Google for instructions of how to prepare a ground.

I think after using my equipment this way for nearly 10 years I can make the assumption that if something bad was going to happen it would have by now.

The unit does keep our equipment running when the power goes out or dips - it has never failed (except when the UPS's batteries need to be replaced).

Thanks for your considerate advice!

Be

Reply to
BE

DON'T ground to a gas pipe! Your library will have a code book - well worth reading on grounding.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It is rare indeed that no ground beats a good solid one.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

While true, I'm not sure that "good solid" applies to the ground system described (i.e. rods driven into the earth on opposite ends of a house, each grounding a portion of the outlets in said house).

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:06:19 +0000, CJT Has Frothed:

I don't recall saying that and if I did, I didn't mean it. I only did it to one circuit where my elctronics are located.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

A ground rod is often a good ground unless the soil is very poor and dry.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sorry but you are incorrect. I have used various APC UPS models from a smart-ups 300 to a 1500, an old APC power cell model, and also APC Back-UPS

1200 and a Back-ups pro 500 without a ground. All of these models will function without a ground.
Reply to
Michael Kennedy

mine has light that indicates "Grounded". when it is initially plugged in and the light is out, the thing doesnt run.

even with full battery charge.

Back-UPS

Reply to
<hapticz

huh.. what model do you have?

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Oh and by the way on all of mine the wiring fault light lights up when ungrounded, but they still function. Maybe your model is newer than all of mine and they have changed how they work.

Thats intresting that they changed that, but it also makes good sense.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I think he said the ground light comes on while the unit is POSTing, then goes out. During that period of time, there is no output.

He didn't say it wouldn't operate without a ground, and doesn't indicate that he's ever tried it that way. He's attributing the ground light issue with an actual *grounding* issue.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert