Advice on Gould DSO please...

I have just got a Gould 465 DSO (same as 420 & 450 but 100MHz bandwidth).

With the input grounded the trace is never dead straight (as with an analogue scope) but exhibits a very, very tiny amount of vertical noise. It doesn't alter with channel sensitivity and is the same on both channels, so I'm guessing it's due to ADC error. Everything else about the scope works perfectly.

It's livable with but if anyone can tell me whether this is normal behaviour for these scopes (or other DSOs in general) I'd appreciate it.

Bob

Reply to
storan4wd

If its invariant noise then surely it must be noise on the final "Y" stage supply rail. Try adding a HV electrolytic to see if it has any effect.

N Cook

on

Thank you for the suggestion, I see where you're coming from but everything else on screen (menus, grid, measurements etc.) are all rock solid. I therefore suspected that the problem did not lie in the deflection system.

Bob

Reply to
storan4wd