Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

Which is common and also note that sometimes you need to specify a higher power number.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Yeh my modem has advanced management at that address but my lan is 1.1 so it can't talk to 0.1.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Some have a tiny webserver to report system status. My cable modem uses

192.168.100.1

Name WebSTAR DPC2100 Modem Serial Number 201455763 Cable Modem MAC Address **:**:**:**:**:** Hardware Version 2.0 Software Version v2.0.2r1244-050319 Receive Power Level -2.2 dBmV Transmit Power Level 35.5 dBmV Cable Modem Status Operational

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Each is different ... it depends on the manufacturer. Use Google to search for the make and model and then find the management IP address and subnet mask, then set your computer to be in the same subnet and with the same mask and connect to it directly. Most have web browser interfaces at the management address, others only allow telnet, the most secure only allow https or ssh. My info was an example to help you understand. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yeh I have a laptop that I can config for 0.1 if I want to play with it. I never noticed but the modem has a sticker on the bottom giving the web management IP hence my ignorance in previous posts.

BTW I spent the better part of this decade doing IT consulting giving it up after an old ankle injury prevented me from having the mobility needed to do business and industrial networking. And most of my experience was garnered on NT and Novell hybrid networks, lots of Arc and TCNS coax being ditched for ethernet and fiber and Windows NT4/2000/2003 Server, SBS, and even some NT4 WTS back when it was known as Hydra. Oh and can't forget the old Citrix Metaframe stuff. I still have an old Compaq 300 server here at home running Novell 3.12 just to see how long it will run before it dies. It's got a 4.3 gig Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive inside that's got to have a million hours on it and rattles like crazy when it accesses data.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Sat, 31 May 2008 23:21:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" put finger to keyboard and composed:

This is what my DLink modem tells me:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar