Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

I wouldn't think it would be *that* bad, but I suppose it's possible.

If you use CAT-5 or better, I'd certainly think so.

I really do think you should do the "take the DSL modem out to the demarc and test with a short, good cable" test, even if this means that you have to temporarily move your computer. That's the best way to eliminate the whole house-wiring issue completely.

Dave Platt

"Dave Platt"

Groan!... my computer is huge.. the case is a server case and every connector on the back has a cable in it... not impossible, just slightly mind-boggling. :- )

I'll try to scrounge up someone's laptop.

Hey... just wanted to say to thanks to everyone - I wasn't expecting as much good help as I'm getting here on this subject.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

"Dave Platt"

I don't know how to read this yet... I'm not sure what it's telling me.

Is the "6016 kbps" an actual throughput or just the connection speed?

WAN Port Statistics

Upstream Speed:768 kbps Downstream Speed: 6016 kbps Node-Link 1-PPPoE Status Up TxPkts 57459 RxPkts 52601 Errors 0 Tx B/s 0 Rx B/s 0

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Just get a long ethernet cable and an ac extension cord. The ethernet doesn't care how far away it is (within reason). Carry the modem out to the phone box, pop that open and hook it up with a short phone cable (and the extension cord). Run the CAT5 back into the 'puter and browse away....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

That looks like what the modem is configured for.

Run an actual test by going to:

and pick the test server closest to you

Your headers indicate that you're near Atlanta, Ga. If so, the closest are probably these:

or

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is probably the data-modulation speed which has been negotiated between the DSLAM and your DSL modem. I suspect that the "B/s" values at the end are the actual throughput, over the last few seconds of operation.

The fact that the error count is zero is good news... it suggests that the modem isn't seeing defective cells/packets.

The next thing to do is to start a download (as fast as possible) and then re-measure the WAN port statistics and compare them to what you're seeing on your server. If the upstream and downstream speeds are still what you see here, but the Tx B/s throughputs are quite a lot less, then it would suggest that the data is being throttled by something other than the speed of the DSL connection itself.

This might happen if your ISP has some sort of explicit rate-limiting or traffic-shaping filters in place, and hasn't yet readjusted them to account for the fact that your account speed has been upgraded. Or, it could indicate that your server has too small a TCP receive window, and that the latency in the DSL connection is delaying the ACK packets enough to degrade your throughput. Or, it might mean that whatever site you're downloading from during your speed test isn't able or willing to feed you at rates greater than around 1.5 megabit.

Dave Platt

I?think even wal mart sells Ethernet cables this long so it shouldn't be a problem to locate one.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Just go buy a long CAT-5 ethernet cable and plug the modem straight into the box on the side of the house. The long cable will probably come in handy for something else sooner or later.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's the connection speed which IMHO means your line is fine. What happens the other side of the exchange is out of your control - or the phone line provider.

--
*The modem is the message *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't realize they were so cheap...

Yup, sounds like the best idea - I'll do it this afternoon.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

When I had some problems with noise in the signal here at home, ATT sent a tech out with his laptop and diagnosed it from this end of the DSLAM. He was also able to tell me what I could expect speed-wise from this end. It was interesting looking at the diagnostics on the carrier side of the signal as I could see why 1.5 Kb/sec was my max in the way of error correction and retransmissions again, on the carrier side of the signal. Do they no longer offer this? Do you know it takes some time for the modem to negotiate or "train" but in your case a week is too long.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I wonder what parameters they measure that the router test prog can't?

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know. My modem is a Speedstream 5130 and separate from my pc by a router so I can't access that data. However I would have to assume the tech's diagnostics dove deeper into it as he was on the phone with another tech. He also had some pager device that gave him a security code via satellite to allow him to log into whatever he logged into using my connection.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Don't see why a router should make any difference to that.

All you can really test is the line status. Everything after it depends on so many variables.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just an FYI update for anyone following my DSLHell adventures:

Test site:

I took the modem outside to the Telco box and connected it to the NID on a

12" flat silver cable and ran a 50' CAT6 Ethernet cable to the computer. Results: Upstream: 1910 Downstream: 644

Connected the modem to the house phone outlet. Results: Upstream: 1519 Downstream: 638

(I used many more sites and tests but they generally came out the same.)

So... I gotta think my inside wiring is not so bad. Now I guess I have to depend on the guys in India to unravel the problem. :- (

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Your best test would still be to borrow a laptop that you can carry to the end of the DSL line. You won't really have a handle on the problem until you have checked the speed there, as well as at the end of your

30' phone cord, with the same instrument.

Once you've done that, you'll have a much better idea of where and what the problem is.

Until you do that, we're all just guessing.

... But now I've read others' suggestions to buy a long ethernet cable. This is a good suggestion, and is equivalent to the laptop test.

-

Jim Adney

Well I guess not but I should have mentioned the modem has no web interface to garner any stats from. And unless I'm missing some other way to connect to it there isn't any besides maybe being able to do it via it's MAC address if connected directly to the PC via the PPPoE WAN miniport. I should toss the model number into Google and see if anyone has been hacking at them.

Yeh I suppose your right, I admittedly know little about the carrier side of DSL.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How is the modem set up to your requirements? Or is it one supplied by your ISP with the settings flashed in?

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Arrived in a box via FedX, plug and play.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I assume that the box gives an IP address to a computer connected to it? What address does it give and is it public or private IP range?

FYI, My DSL box (Speedstream 4100 supplied by AT&T) will "pass through" one public IP address, but also does NAT if I assign static private addresses to other computers on my inside house network. If I assign computers in the

192.168.0.0/24 subnet (usable addresses are 192.168.0.2-254 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and DGW 192.168.0.1), then I can open a HTTP window to the DSL modem by using http://192.168.0.1 . This page allows me to configure the modem and also see statistics. YMMV.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman