3- disc CD changer problem

Every time I load a disc, the disc won't spin until I give it a tiny spin by hand. When I spin the disc just a little, it will start playing fine without any problems. Nothing is broken (mechanically at least). Could this be an indication of a bad/weak laser ? If the laser was bad, then it won't read, period. I appreciate your opinions.

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite

Does it try and start every time? Does it sometimes work and other times not at all until you spin it?

The first maybe bearing problem or lack of drive, try reducing the top clamp force to see if that temporarily improves it. Second case , one armature winding inoperative due to crud on commutator or o/c winding

Not a laser problem , i would say, unless it spins up and fails to read the TOC track.

N Cook

Most likely - a shorted spindle motor. You've rotated it past the shorted brush, so it starts to rotate. The motor is drawing too much average current in this condition, so you should not continue to play it this way.

The motor brushes can often be cleaned out. One must understand how small motors are constructed.

One can spray some cleaner / lubricant into the little slits at the bottom of the motor, aimed at the point where the brushes touch the commutator. Do this while rotating the motor, and it helps to use an air compressor to blow out excess cleaner etc from the motor. It is often necessary to repeat the process several times to clear the short.

Another method is to run the motor from an external power supply at a higher-than-normal voltage, say 6 to 9 volts, and "burn" the short out. My thought is the short is more likely to recur this way.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I ditto what Mark said. A blast of contact cleaner while the motor rotates may resolve this problem.

Reply to
Golf

Thank you very much gentlemen. You were a great help. I will try your suggestions.

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite