1988 Fender Princeton Chorus amp

Hello, I have a 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus amp, I believe this was the fi rst year model.

I have a faint chorus sound/FX in both the rate & the depth controls.

I replaced the MN 3007 & MN 3001 chips today, but still no real change. The chorus FX is there, but really faint.

Both speakers are working, both sides of the amp seem to be working and the amp is totally stock. Nobody has changed anything except for what I did today.

Can you help me ? Maybe tell me what else to change ?

I can?t read a schematic at all, so please if you could be so kind, please explain where to find the parts that you might suggest that I try changing.

Stay safe, Charles

NOTE: I live at least 200 miles from the nearest repair station so I'd rea lly like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)

Reply to
cvalona09

Can you post a link to the schematic? This will help others help you even if you can't read it yourself. The exact model number and a photo will also be helpful.

Reply to
Pimpom

None of the Princeton models that I found have the chips you describe. Can you post the exact model from the plate? The only Princeton Chorus model I found has DSP in the model name as well.

I have some hardcopy schematics around that I will check as well, but any additional info you can provide will help.

Dan

Reply to
abrsvc

Same here. That's why I asked the OP to provide more details. I couldn't find any model using a BBD.

Reply to
Pimpom

Without the schematic, based upon the symptoms described:

1) The "delay" portion is working as expected 2) The delayed signal amplitude is smaller than expected. This would suggest that there is likely an op-amp down stream that is not working correctly or at all. Look for a TC072 or perhaps a 4558 IC that is faulty post the MN chips.

Dan

Reply to
abrsvc

Or high ESR coupling cap?

Reply to
Wond

=============

----------------------------

See:

The repair is a job for an experienced amp tech with the usual test gear on hand - scope, audio gen etc.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

first year model.

he chorus FX is there, but really faint.

he amp is totally stock. Nobody

d, please explain where to find the parts that

eally like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)

Reply to
cvalona09

first year model.

he chorus FX is there, but really faint.

he amp is totally stock. Nobody

d, please explain where to find the parts that

eally like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)

Thanks for your help everyone, however, the IC's MN 3101 and MN 3007 are s tock parts that came out of my completely stock virgin 1988 Solid State Fen der Princeton Chorus amp. Not sure why you're not seeing them ?

Reply to
cvalona09

first year model.

he chorus FX is there, but really faint.

he amp is totally stock. Nobody

d, please explain where to find the parts that

eally like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)

Reply to
cvalona09

an you post the exact model from the plate? The only Princeton Chorus mode l I found has DSP in the model name as well.

additional info you can provide will help.

Thanks Dan,

My 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus Model PR82 Made In USA is completely stock, a totally virgin amp. The IC's MN 3101 and MN 3007 are stock parts that c ame out of this amp. I replaced them with new ones yesterday, but no change , the Chorus is still having problems. The pilot light comes on, and both t he Rate & Depth controls seem to be working, but the FX is very very weak.

BTW...this is not a Princeton that uses DSP...the amps that featured DSp ef fects came after the PR82 models and don't sound near as good.

Stay Safe, Charles

Reply to
cvalona09

Reply to
cvalona09

first year model.

[...]

First of all Phil is probably right. But then if you want to try things on your own...

The chips you mentioned are probably the clock and BBD. They really should not affect the level of sound.

Turn the chorus off and see if you are getting the same volume out of each speaker.

If the sound is equal then you need to go right after the BBD circuit. If not it could be in the amp on that side anywhere.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

There is an OP AMP right after the BBD, it is set to unity gain. If you have a scope, it should be putting out the same amplitude as what is going in.

It is nice to have a generator working in those things but you have to usually resistor the output way down. Where I worked I had a guitar next to me, plugged it in and had to strum it periodically. My stuff stays home now.

That print says for a power/gain test go in the return loop jack and you should have equal signal on both sides. You can plug a friggin cassette deck into it really. (one channel) All you have to do is get or make the proper adapter.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

============================

** You bet he is...

** He might start with the Chorus/ straight switching system. In Chorus mode, one channel handles straight signal while the other the delayed/swept version.

Mixing of the two to give the effect occurs in the air beyond the speakers. If the either channel's level is low, he may still think both speakers are workings when one is not.

I use a scope to tell, the delayed signal sounds almost normal until the straight one is added.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well like you said but in different words, this takes a tech. One speaker c ould be half blown. And in a guitar amp post people would not notice much i f the amp is only pushing one direction.

I say let the guy do it. I think he owns it. If it goes poof then it does.

Maybe the guy will buy a scope. I think novices should always start with a CRO, not a raster based one. No digital no nothing.

That would ell of the speakers. They both had the same power but one (the r ight one I think right ?) is half f***ed up because maybe something got spi lled in it. Shit happens.

Well if out OPer here is reading he is probably learning. One of the simple st tests would be to switch the speakers. However we know that is not alway s feasible. You got two viable choices, mount them reverse. Or just hook it to external speakers. We all have a pair of speakers around.

So without a scope he is not even to that point yet, needs a pair.

Reply to
Jeff Urban