Hемного о битах :)

Hello everybody.

Hаверное, это слегка офтопик, но не могу удержаться :)

Один thread c comp.arch.embedded

      От:Meindert Sprang ( snipped-for-privacy@NOcustomSPAMware.nl)
      Тема:Bit width?

Reading about buses, processors and memories being n bits wide makes me
wonder: how wide is one bit?

      От:Grant Edwards ( snipped-for-privacy@visi.com)
      Тема:Re: Bit width?

One bit is one bit wide.

      От:Mel Wilson (mwilson@the-wire.com)

   That's pretty much it.  If you need expansion, you have
to rely on the height.  You can get some code efficiency
with your semaphores if you store the P/V status in the
upper half of the bit, and a tasks-waiting flag in the lower
half.

   Atmel ATmega processors support this really well with the
BRHS and BRHC instructions:  Branch If Half Carry Flag Set
and ..Clear.

      От:Jim Granville ( snipped-for-privacy@designtools.co.nz)

  Where have you been ? - have you not seen that newest flash
stores FOUR levels per programming FLASH bit ? ((Intel et al )

That means we should start talking about QUARTER BITS.
  Those in the USA should be comfortable with this fractional notation,
as they already use both Bit and Quarter in currency.

Mel Wilson wrote:

 >    Atmel ATmega processors support this really well with the
 > BRHS and BRHC instructions:  Branch If Half Carry Flag Set
 > and ..Clear.

But what if you need to test the OTHER half of the carry flag,
clearly, they forgot the orthogonal opcodes :

  BROHS :  Branch If Other-Half Carry Flag Set
  BROHC :  Branch If Other-Half Carry Flag Clear

Longer term research shows it has not stopped here :
http://www.eet.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId20%900091&kc25%15

Imagine what THAT will do to the Processor Opcodes ?

      От:Grant Edwards ( snipped-for-privacy@visi.com)

Often shortened to "quits".

The confusing thing is that a monetary bit is a half of a
quarter, where a computer bit is four quarters.

      От:Ulf Samuelsson ( snipped-for-privacy@atmel.nospam.com)

Not completely true, with ARM processors having shadow registers
for the PSR, you have to wonder about the depth of a bit as well.
Pushing/popping  PSR registers on the stack, forces you to introduce time,
the fourth dimension.

      От:Jim Stewart ( snipped-for-privacy@jkmicro.com)

Troll season doesn't open for another month (:

      От:Casey ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net)

It's equal to the width of 1,000,000 microbits.

      От:Paul Keinanen ( snipped-for-privacy@sci.fi)

Regarding the troll season, is it 1,000,000 microbits, 1,000,000 microibits,
1000 mbits, 1024 mbits, 1,024,000 microbits or 1,048,576 microbits wide :-).

      От:Vadim Borshchev (vadim.borshchev@127.0.0.1)

Imperial or metric ?

      От:Matthias Wei?er ( snipped-for-privacy@matwei.de)

Maybe you are searching for http://www.bitburger.de/index.php?id92 %

This Bit is approximately 7cm wide and 20cm high.

      От:Greg Neff ( snipped-for-privacy@microsym.com)

Apparently, a 1 bit is 0.2280".  I can't seem to find a 0 bit in my
table of Numbered, Fractional, and Lettered Twist Drill Bit Sizes...

      От:Rick Merrill ( snipped-for-privacy@comTHROW.net)

A Quantum bit (called a Qbit) has three states, so it is 1.5 bits "wide".

      От:Jim Stewart ( snipped-for-privacy@jkmicro.com)

No one has yet addressed the size of virtual bits, imaginary
bits and shadow bits.

      От:Jack Klein ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net)

The width of shadow bits varies with the time of day.  At dawn or
sunset they are quite wide.  Around noon, on the other hand, they are
very, very narrow.  There is a slight additional variation with
latitude and season, but that is usually taken care of by a 1-bit FIR
filter.

The formula for the width of imaginary bits is quite simple.  It is
the width of an ordinary bit multiplied by the square root of -1.

Virtual bits, however, have virtually no width at all.

      От:Ben Bradley (ben_nospam_ snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com)

   I learned when I was a computer center janitor that a bit is
narrower than a bit bucket. We had to recycle bits because the local
city would levy huge fines if they found any bits in the sewage.

Roman

Hемного о битах :)
   Как связь, _Roman_ ? ;-)

 RK> how wide is one bit?
 RK> This Bit is approximately 7cm wide and 20cm high.

    Я плакать!... 8-))))

   До связи, Roman! /Edward/    LocalDate 04 Jun 04 - LocalTime 18:13
... http://picmaster.boom.ru мыло на: nеdеliаеv(ухо)мэйл.ру

Site Timeline