using Bluetooth for high-data-rate comms

I need to get an embedded Linux system to send high-speed data over Bluetooth.

I will prototype it on a PC-PC link with dongles.

Eventually it will move to embedded modules using the CSR chipset.

So firstly I'd like any available advice on selecting a CSR-based Class1 (preferably) dongle

Secondly I'd be interested in any help, paid or free, on setting up a simple comms example sending data at 1200Kbits/second between two Linux- based systems.

Anyone got the tee-shirt?

David Collier

email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

Reply to
David Collier

David Collier schrieb:

Depends on you definition of high-speed. Bluetooth maximum data rate on the physical layer is 1Mbit/s. With protocol overhead you get something around 760kbit/s. If you want to have the same data rate in both directions you can only use about 400kbit/s.

I would try out the serial port profile to get some experiences about possible data rates. It should be fairly easy to set-up.

At work we build a device with an TI MSP430 serially connected to a Mitsumi WML-C10 Bluetooth module (running serial port profile). So we can communicate with the device from a PC with Bluetooth dongle and a simple terminalprogram (Hyperterm). I implemented an X-modem download from the device to the PC, but the data rates are disappointing. As X-modem is a stop-and-go protocol it waits as long for an acknowledge as it needs to transmit a block of data (at 460.8kbit/s). Additionaly to that, the X-modem protocol seems to interfere with the underlying Bluetooth link layer protocol (I guess that the BT link layer waits for a short time for additional data to fill one link layer packet before sending the acknowledge of the X-modem protocol). This leads to a maximum achievable download rate of 90kbit/s.

Well, 1200kbit/s would not be possible with Bluetooth.

Regards, Guido

Reply to
Guido Muesch

To get 1.2Gbit/S you could try two BT modules.

--Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Wong

Anthony Wong schrieb: