Opie 1.2 released

The Opie Team is proud to announce the next stable release of the Open
Palmtop Integrated Environment (Opie), version 1.2.

Version 1.2 builds upon the last stable version (1.0.3, released November
2003), and provides a rich graphical user environment and comprehensive
selection of applications. Applications include personal information
management (PIM), media players for many different audio and video formats,
viewers for images and electronic documents, games and many utilities for
file transfer, connectivity with other computers, etc. As with previous
versions, Opie continues to provide binary compatibility with applications
developed for TrollTech's Qtopia environment.

Opie supports synchronization with other computers using KDE's next
generation synchronization framework known as KitchenSync, MultiSync and
Qtopia Desktop.

Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of
platforms.
Opie has direct hardware support for Hewlett Packard iPAQ, Sharp Zaurus,
Yopy and Siemens SIMpad devices. Opie is provided in several Linux
distributions including: Familiar, OpenZaurus and OpenSIMpad.

This version will appear in the next version of your favorite distribution,
such as OpenZaurus 3.5.3 and Familiar 0.8.2.

For more information, please see:
http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/OpieReleases_2fOpie1_2e2_2e0

Oliver

Re: Opie 1.2 released

x86 and arm is "wide variety"? Does it run on mips? Seems like a silly
question, but was never answered (google finds those).

Re: Opie 1.2 released

Opie has been brought to run on the Z, the iPAQs, Psion5, Simpad, and
several others.
This includes certain x86, StrongArm and MIPS devices, though I have lost
track about the MIPS status.

In fact almost every device running Linux can be equipped with Opie.

Oliver

Re: Opie 1.2 released

http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Hardware :
 >Opie's minimal hardware requirements are as follows:
 >x86 or arm processor

Its missleading,  today I found this

http://www.jlime.com/galleries/screenshots/opie-handwriting.jpg
Hitachi SH3

Is there a forum or a newsgroup dedicated to opie ?

Re: Opie 1.2 released

Yes, we haven't updated this for a while because there is no status feedback
from other platforms.
We know that it has been running on those and active support from us is
available for Zaurus, iPAQs and Simpads.

Yes. See above regarding my statement about status feedback.

No, there is none. We primarily use the mailing lists.

Oliver

Site Timeline