Help to remove wrong boot script. Newbies question

Hello, All
I had a script called "mac", which I wanted to execute during boot sequence.
So, I put it into /etc/init.d and ran:

update_rc.d  mac 99

Now it really runs during boot sequence but I cannot login from any
terminal, the system does not reboot from CTRL-ALT-DEL, is not telneted and
I can do nothing, even cannot remove the ill script.
Could somebody advise how to restore it or give some reference to
appropriate document?
Thanks, Alex.

Re: Help to remove wrong boot script. Newbies question
Hi Alexander,

May be your script never terminates? If yes, init will never come to
the end of the boot sequence. This means, that you have to access the
filesystem from some recovery disk and delete the script.

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

Can you not boot in single-user mode "boot single". This should avoid
your "mac" program being run (assuming you issued update-rc.d mac defaults 99).

You can clean up the init files ("update-rc.d mac remove" will remove the
symbolic links set up before, without removing /etc/init.d/mac).

--mikeb

Site Timeline