Getting trigger signal to application

Hi.

We need to get a hardware trigger signal (TTL level) into a linux box, delivered to an application. That application will wait for the trigger and send a UDP datagram to another linux box, which in turn will signal the reception of the datagram by firing a trigger itself.

We need that setup to measure the time it takes from trigger in to trigger out. What would be the best (i.e. 'fastest') setup for this ? Trigger in/out through parallel port or serial ? Could someone please give some general notes about what techniques we need to use. (Sending/receiving UDP is no problem...) I think we need some kind of kernel module to handle the interrupt from the serial or parallel port. And then? What does the application need to do to wait for the interrupt without polling ?

Thanks for any comment.

Stefan

--
Stefan Naewe