Tracing Phone Lines

Hi,

I'm in a building with about 6 incoming lines.. Inside there's a huge board filled with tiny wires that that regular telephones lines come out of.

I'm in need of determining where on that main board, each line corresponds too.. Are there any tools for this?

I'm sorry, I can't describe the board much better. It's made of multiple columns, each about 3-4 inches wide. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks David

Reply to
David Wessell

This is one if many devices:

Dave

Reply to
CheapscateDave

So a tone generator is what I'm looking for?

Is there a standard range that the tone will reach? I'm looking at probably 50-100 feet of line..

Thanks David

CheapscateDave wrote:

Reply to
David Wessell

Yeah - And something to hear it with. (The phone will generally work for that, although some won't)

How far does the wire run? That's usually about the range of a toner.

Get it, plug it in, and you ought to be in business.

I'd be setting the toner on the line at the phone end, then going to the panel to check for which pair has tone on it. Mark, move to next phone, lather, rinse, repeat.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

hook a phone to a pair, and dial your ANAC number, which you can find listedon google for your area, it will tell you the phone number your phone is on.

start with the white/blue pair

dan

David Wessell wrote:

Reply to
rue_mohr

sorry I think I mixed up what your asking.

a tracer will pick up a pair over 150' (ours does anyhow)

dan

Reply to
rue_mohr

Thanks everyone I appreciate it..

It's just one phone line on the punchdown block (I researched, and found out what it was called) that I need to identify.. I need to move one phone number, across the building, and into another room... Actually, I need that phone number to come out about 5 feet away from the punch down block. So I imagine once I can identify what pair of wires is on the punchdown block, I can just run it straight from the block to where I need it (Server, about 5 feet away)..

The punch down block is pretty big. And has a ton of wires, and places for it looks like at least 100 or more phones lines.. But we have only

6 lines.

I'm guessing that the extra space is mostly for expansion?

Thanks David

rue_mohr wrote:

Reply to
David Wessell

yup

if it bix strips, use an old credit card to push new wires into the slots. I cant suggest what you could do if its a 66 block, probably using a pair of pliers over but not grasping the tong to push the wire evenly on both sides

a caution, theres about 100V across a phone line when it rings, so be carefull and hope nobody phones when your doing the change.

you should be abel to work out your lines using teh ANAC trick, as I presume the old jack is currently live

dan

Reply to
rue_mohr

You are ok. Another methode would be a signal generator and an oscope. Remember you will hear crosstalk when using the toner, so the pair/wire with the highest signal is your guy.

Reply to
Dana